Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Any Virginia hunters out there? >

Any Virginia hunters out there?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Any Virginia hunters out there?

Old 10-29-2012, 06:34 PM
Fork Horn

Sorry! I live in NoVa. Plenty of deer here in loudoun County! In fact, there is no daily bag limit. All my hunting is done on private land.

Good luck!
Old 10-29-2012, 07:40 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by ButchA
I'm in Richmond. The best spots for hunting deer are on private land. You have to know someone who knows someone in order to get a sweet spot on private land to hunt, or just get lucky and ask a landowner.

The public WMA's (Chickahominy, Powhatan, Amelia, CF Phelps, etc..) are not very good and are way, way, WAY, over hunted. The state forests might be a better option.
Originally Posted by Ohboy
I'm in Yorktown and hunt in a hunt club in Wakefield and have some private land in ivor and out in north Wakefield near dendron. You can also check the big woods in Sussex co. I used to hunt it with our club. There are plenty of deer there and many big bucks, just have to go find them. I have seen a few post on Craigslist about a club doing hunts out there and they need standers. Might be worth doing to check it out and to meet some locals. Good luck

Thanks for the info gents, do either of you know much about the urban archery season from Jan-March? Im overseas right now looking at being back early Jan so thats the only bet I have for this year. Va Wildlife website didnt have too much on it.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:11 AM
Fork Horn

urban archery? All i know is that you can bow hunt only and take doe only. And its only available in certain countys. Most likely you will have to have private land to do this on. There is plenty of land in suffolk and plenty of farmers out there that im sure will allow you to take out some more does, especially with a bow. Good luck
Old 10-30-2012, 07:39 AM
Fork Horn

BMcDee,
Here in NoVa there is the Northern Virginia Urban Archers Club which has a deal going with the Fish and Game folks? Essentially, once you pass their qualifications you can hunt antlerless deer all year long, but only on private lands. However, the private lands belong to folks who want the deer removed. Check it out, it might work for you.

Besides that Loudoun, Fairfax and maybe a few other northern Virginia counties allow the taking of antlerless deer from January to the end of March; by any means. Check the Fish and Game website.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ah, Loudoun Co, home of my ancestors Solomon Vanvacter and Charity Austin and Smyth Co, home of my g-g-gf Jacob Williams. And Bedford Co, home of my wife, Mary Saunders. All gone to Missouri. Sorry, I get carried away.