Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Fox vs. Deer Sense of Smell

Old 10-26-2012, 05:02 PM
Spike

Default Fox vs. Deer Sense of Smell

I was deer hunting the other evening in my tree stand and a red fox walked up on my stand. I was really excited because I had never seen one out there before. Later on 3 deer were heading toward my stand. I didn't get a good look at one of them but that deer sensed I was there. It did the typical snort to warn of danger and turned and left. I was super upset, especially because I take extreme care of my hunting gear to make sure it is scent-free. It is all scent-lok and I store it in an airtight container when not in use. I thought it must have scented me but the more I think about it, there was no wind that night. How is it that the deer scented me but the fox didn't? The fox hung out for a while when he was there. Is it more likely that the deer saw me? I would say it was possible. Anyone have a good opinion because I was pretty disappointed my scent control let me down.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:36 PM
Fork Horn

No such thing as being scent free
Old 10-26-2012, 07:27 PM
Fork Horn

It could be that they seen you. I also had this same scenario happen about two weeks ago fox was clueless deer walked in and looked straight at me but still killed one . I was about 25 ft in my climber how high were you. One other thing ive learned over the years is that if you hunt on ridges your thermals can go crazy from time to time swirling and I am just like you with scent control but they will bust you.