Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

BIG mount I bought.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:15 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by mw_Guerilla
I can understand buying mounts for decoration at a restaurant or business (I guess?); but I would never hang one at my home (or anywhere that is MINE for that fact). The only reason someone gets a deer mounted is to show what they worked so hard and dedicated so much time to. That's almost like buying someone's personalized jacket
I agree...every mount I have in my gun room (7 deer, 1 elk and 2 fish) bring back memories...I can look at each one of them and remember exactly when, where and how I took them...I don't want anything on my walls that someone else took...I also agree about not encouraging poachers...not being critical, mind you, just my personal preference...cheers/bg
Old 10-27-2012, 07:18 PM
Fork Horn

I,ve cut up antlers from other people,and salvaged from roadkill ect.
Feels sad at estate sales ,see some old timers memories selling.
Not that they care.
One sale saw family discarding black and white photos of deer and hunters. Sad family time but i was tempted to ask to keep them as history. Left em be though. wasn,t my hunts.
Somebody saves antlers i,ve relieved deer of,at least deer will be remembered in a way. if not hope they make it back to a place deer still run and not a dumpster.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:43 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by indiana deer hunter
I agree with fastetti. Also If I didnt find it ,kill it or have some history with a story I probably wouldnt be interested in them in my house. Do you collect them?
I do sir. =]
Old 10-27-2012, 11:44 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bmgillum
I agree...every mount I have in my gun room (7 deer, 1 elk and 2 fish) bring back memories...I can look at each one of them and remember exactly when, where and how I took them...I don't want anything on my walls that someone else took...I also agree about not encouraging poachers...not being critical, mind you, just my personal preference...cheers/bg
So you don't enjoy those bucks up on the walls of Bass Pro?? mhmmm :P
Old 10-27-2012, 11:52 PM
Typical Buck

LISTEN.. it's like arrowhead collectors (Ancient arrowheads)... They have their prized personal finds... but a lot of collectors also buy artifacts from other collectors. MOST collectors prize their personal finds much higher than points they bought. Those bought points are still very pleasing to the eyes. There is absolutely NO difference with deer antlers. I prize all of my 8's 9's and 10's (pointers) that I have taken over the years. Doesn't mean I'm not allowed to enjoy other antlers. Honestly I see a lot of overreacting on these forums just to make someone look good in front of everyone else. That aint right. I can easily say that I believe it is of Satan to hang another rack other than your own on your wall BUT it would be a lie. I dont like to lie. I am genuine. are you?
Old 10-28-2012, 01:26 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bristowboy_20
So you don't enjoy those bucks up on the walls of Bass Pro?? mhmmm :P
I said I was not being critical...just a personal thing...

To be honest, I don't pay much attention to the racks in BPS or Cabela's...it's just window dressing and I am in there to shop...I occasionally take notice of a huge bear or the like but if someone were to offer up one to me free, I would thank them for the offer but turn them down...

Enjoy your collection...

Cheers/bg
Old 10-28-2012, 05:39 AM
Banned

i wouldnt have bought it. any rack without a tag is illegal to sell or purchase in ohio. also illegal to pick up a rack unless you call the warden to have them write a permit and that is only if they determine that it wasnt poached.

Last edited by snapper1982; 10-28-2012 at 05:42 AM.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:44 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by snapper1982
i wouldnt have bought it. any rack without a tag is illegal to sell or purchase in ohio. also illegal to pick up a rack unless you call the warden to have them write a permit and that is only if they determine that it wasnt poached.
Same here, people cut the racks off road kills all the time. Only way you can do it is get a road kill permit, but then you must take the whole deer. Most people get one cut the antlers off then dump the deer somewhere else.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:27 AM
Typical Buck

wow so now we even critisize the way someone decorates thier home. Thats bad, who cares what he puts up. He didn't ask that question.

I have a painting that my dad did 25 years ago in my house, i guess i should take it down cause i am not the one who spent hours painting it.

I am sure every "trophy" ever shot was hard earned on this board. yea right
Old 10-28-2012, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think anyone is judging him for doing this. I think most of us are saying that we wouldn't do it. If its Bristoyboy's hobby and he enjoys it then go for it.

I think in response to the deer at BPS and Cabelas, personally when I look at them, I think what it would be like to shoot one of those and put it on my wall. I wouldn't want that particular mount on my wall just one very similar that I shot.

With the response of buying antlers on ebay, you really don't know what antlers you are buying if they are not tagged. If there was the slightest inclination that there is a chance they were poached I wouldn't touch them. I couldn't stand it if I thought I was helping a poacher profit.

I am no way against anybody collecting old mounts. If its fun and you enjoy it, go for it. I'd rather have somone enjoy old mounts than to sit in a basement storage and rot away.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.