Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Do deer not care about human urine? >

Do deer not care about human urine?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Do deer not care about human urine?

Old 10-25-2012, 01:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default Do deer not care about human urine?

I was hunting the other morning and for some reason I had to piss so bad it hurt. So I just stood up and went out the back of my stand. It was one of those "I drank all night minute long ones" too. Not 10 minutes after I finished 4 does came walking out of a clearing in the woods and walked from left to right not 5 feet in front of my stand. I could tell that they smelled it cause they started looking around and even looked up at me but it was cold so I had my ski mask on so I guess they obviously didnt see me as they didnt haul ass. They hung around for a bit and ate some acrons then kept walking. Does urine just not scare them off or something? Or is it because its rut and theres probably so much buck piss in the woods they dont even care anymore.

I was telling my pest control guy that today and he said he had a friend who had to go on the way to his stand and said he just went in an old stump that he thought was far enough away where the scent wouldnt affect his hunting. Said he was in the stand for about 30 minutes and a nice buck came out and went to the stump and started hoofing at it and sticking his face into it. Said if he knew that was gonna happen he would have done it close to his stand.

Im not gonna make a habit of holding it till I get to my stand but I figured the smell of human urine would drive them away. But then again I guess Deer dont really know what our urine smells like and for all they know it could be that of another animal is the only reason I can think as to why it didnt bother them. When I hunt with my friends we used to always joke about pissing in each others corn piles so they wouldnt kill anything the next day. I guess that really wouldnt have mattered.

Last edited by thomasmgp; 10-25-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

A couple years ago someone posted a trail cam pic of someone urinating on a scrape, followed a few hours later by a pic of a buck doing the same......
Old 10-25-2012, 01:44 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by wallhangr
A couple years ago someone posted a trail cam pic of someone urinating on a scrape, followed a few hours later by a pic of a buck doing the same......
I read that on another deer forum. Some guy said he hates the bottled stuff cause most of it is fake and says he just urinates on scrapes or makes mock ones and does the same. He said it doesnt always work but it does every now and then. I have tried that bottled crap for 3 years now and I havent seen a deer when I use scent. Maybe I should just start doing the same thing.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:58 PM
Fork Horn

I make my own scrapes I pee outta my stands all the time never had a deer spook on my urine.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:14 PM
TDC
Spike

Originally Posted by wallhangr
Last year deer hunting s similar thing happened. A couple of does showed up after watering a tree.

I created a mock scrape a month ago, and a nice 10 point buck visited it the next morning, followed by about 30 other deer over 2 weeks have visited the scape.

In a separate event a couple of weekends ago in Wisconsin hunting, went to the truck in the morning where the night before I watered a tree, and there was a nice doe investigating the spot.

My buddy says I must be a deer attractant.

I'm hoping to find out if that big buck is still hanging around opening morning!
Old 10-25-2012, 02:42 PM
Fork Horn

I pee straight out of my stand and Ive had many many deer walk right under me afterwards. Doesnt seem to bother them.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:13 PM
Spike

I hunted out of a home built stand with sliding glass windows and wood burning stove located on two sections of scafolding. Rough, I know. My urinal was a motor oil bottle cut in half with a hose through the floor. I whizzed all day long. That night it snowed about an inch. I could not believe the large number of deer track walking up to the urine spot overnight. I would say it attracked the deer.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:07 PM
Fork Horn

I remember reading an article about the synthetic Deer urine where the guy blends the synthetic deer urine with his pee to great great results. I have no problem pissing next to my stand, but then I usually squirt some Buck urine ontop afterward. After reading these threads, I might start a fake scrape next to my stand so I have a regular spot to piss on. Periodically add buck or doe urine, then watch with the game cam to watch the deers response. A little experiment to keep learning.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:18 PM
Fork Horn

Best scrape has a licking branch. Put one over your mock scrape if you must. Make it within range of your stand, upwind in consideration of dominant wind.
Pee in it each visit. I,ve had a mature buck check it and then come in oaks and feed. 20 yard shot 10 yard pin. (Take a bow.) What they are checking for is estrus doe.
Shot a doe one year walked under stand i,d just peed out of.
Its pee to them i suppose. If you ever smelled fox pee we are no big deal. Do try that mock scrape with only your pee ,others with store bought. You can clean 3 foot of ground and i hope one day when you go to pee you see someone has been ahead of you. H.H.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:38 PM
Spike

Hard to beat fresh urine; just don't eat garlic the night before!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.