Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Craziest Hunting Story Ever...it happened last night!!! >

Craziest Hunting Story Ever...it happened last night!!!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Craziest Hunting Story Ever...it happened last night!!!

Old 10-25-2012, 04:22 AM
Fork Horn

Default Craziest Hunting Story Ever...it happened last night!!!

Well here it goes. I know this is long but please read it and tell me this has happened to someone before!! I may need some tissues... I just recently got engaged and my future father in law gave me to key to a piece of property that i have never stepped foot on in my life. The lines are fenced and he gave me a GIS map of the property so I was good there. I went with my fiance's little brother and he kinda pointed me in the right direction. I found a little field that had some deer sign. It was 80 degree here yesterday so needless to say carrying a climber i was SWEATING hard! i finally found a tree and made a mock scrape and put some Jackies deer lure in it. About 45mins after i finally got in the stand I turned around and saw a big bodied deer coming in DIRECTLY down wind of me. I turned all the way around and he walked out from behind a cedar tree and I about choked. He was probably a 155-165in deer. 3in past his ears and almost touching at the top of his tines. He had a lot of stickers and his main beams were huge. He walked past me about 60 yards and went to a watering hole and drank for about 10 mins. He started walking away and i grunted... nothing. then i growled and he threw his head back and started smelling....still down wind. I couldnt believe it but he turned around and started right for me. He started coming right under my stand and I know he would smell where i was when i put the climber on the tree so i drew and fired. I breifly saw the end of my arrow flop up and land right next to the buck. I went to knock another arrow and realize my string had popped off. That about the time I looked at my left hand and noticed a hole in my glove that wasn't there before. I riped my glove off and sure enough a nice round hole in the back of my hand. luckily the shaft broke and hit the bone in my hand and came out instead of going all the way though. i had to climb down the tree which i was way too high in with a hole with blood squirting out in the top of my hand. The buck just flipped me the bird and trotted off. An xray and three stiched later I'm out for atleast a week for the best bow hunting week of the year... I guess I'm lucky that I didn't get anything in my eyes or neck, but i really don't feel that lucky... You may not believe it but I swear every word is true. I can attach picture but its all wrapped up now. FML!!!!

I have been shooting bows for almost a decade and never had one blow up like that... I think it in the end it was my fault but I won't go into details.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is aweful dude
Old 10-25-2012, 04:43 AM
Little Doe Peep

Cool

That really is a sad story.
But what happened? Arrow snapped? String broke? What?
Old 10-25-2012, 04:52 AM
Fork Horn

The arrow exploded. I think because the deer was so close and I was so high in the tree that when i drew back my sights has a perfect view of the deer but my arrow was pointed right at the bar that came around me on the climber. I shot right into the stand and blew the arrow up... again my fault but in the heat of the moment it would have been hard to think to look at where my arrow actually was pointing.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:06 AM
Spike

Sounds like you were really lucky given the situation. It could have went much worse with much more injury to yourself. I can't say that has ever happened to me, and I hope it never does, but good luck with the injury and I hope you heal quick so you can get back out there and get that buck.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:15 AM
Super Moderator

When you get better, go back.
If he came in before, he will come back again.
Good Luck.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

This could have been worse. Heal and get back at it.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:13 AM
Spike

terrible man!!! we all have crazy stories about missing the big one... but that may top all of them
Old 10-25-2012, 07:44 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

I shot into the edge of my screen blind window, causing the arrow to go into a tree (twice) in a single outing! I just did not see the blind edge and only later noticed where the arrows went through. Two arrowheads are part of that tree now. Somehow you can miss this at close range. In my case, it just messed up the flight a little.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

Lesson learned, be thankful you're ok. Get back out there ASAP. I wanna see pictures of this buck before the end of november!
-Jake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.