Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Am i in the wrong spot

Old 09-14-2003, 05:35 PM

Default Am i in the wrong spot

I recently put my treestand in a new spot. I cleared the shooting lanes, and now i am facing a beanfield followed by CRp ground, and then to my left i have a cornfield and a fence row. My treestand is located 20 feet into the woods. The reason i ask this is because there are a bunch of deer trails about 50 yards behind my stand. Even though the deer trails are there i know that they still go out and eat at night. I wasnt shure if i should be facing the deer trails or not. I wanted to face the outside of the woods because i dont like to face inside a woods, because a field gives you more space to watch. Do u think sitting with my back to the deer trails will hurt me...
Old 09-14-2003, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Am i in the wrong spot

Move back into the woods near the deer trails, most deer will stop before they enter the field anyways. besides the view being nice, what good does it to see a deer 100 yards away if you can' t shoot it, might be nice for picture taking and that is about it. locate a couple of stand areas near the trails, one on each side, that way you can setup according to the wind directions. lots of luck.
Old 09-15-2003, 05:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

Lee said it all, I have nothing to add, the deeper you are the earlier/later you will see the deer and the better your chances will be.
Old 09-15-2003, 06:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

Them trails are the staging areas,before they enter the felds.I know you see alot of them hunting programs and they show shooting them in the field. go for the trails just inside the woods
Old 09-15-2003, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree 100% with what was said before. In fact, just a few weeks ago, I moved a stand from a treeline separating 2 fields to about 30 yards into the woods b/c of the trail there. The only way to tell what side of the trail to be on is the wind factor. Like you, I would rather face into the field so you can see more, but if the wind was coming from the woods into the field, I would not hesitate to have my back to the field and face the trail.
Old 09-16-2003, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

The hunting videos show the open fields because that' s what is easiest to get on film.

I' m hunting a staging area this fall myself. hoping to catch them coming out of the field in the morning and going back in at sunset. Don' t set up too close to the trails. angled shots are better than straight down.