Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Weird thing happened to buddy tonight >

Weird thing happened to buddy tonight

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Weird thing happened to buddy tonight

Old 10-25-2012, 06:06 AM
Spike

Default Opening morning, last season

Just past daybreak, there's always a flurry of shooting on opening day and last year was no exception. I knocked one down and heard a number of other shots also on the property that my family hunts on. Both of my bro's texted me asking if I had been shooting, and one of them stated that he just saw a HUGE buck and it ran over toward our cousin's OR our Dad's stand and one or both had taken shots at it. He figured that it was down and they would need help. They're getting up there in years, but can still shoot damn well.....

I gutted out my deer and dragged it out to a trail and then started walking over to see the giant. I found my brother (who first saw this monster) walking from his stand also to help the old guys and we found that BOTH had shot at this deer......my dad was about the most agitated I've ever seen him and as he gets excited he gets louder and louder. He ROARS through the woods when he see's us coming "BIGGEST GODDAMN DEER I EVER SAW!!!!" and "JESUS, I'VE BEEN HUNTING 50 YEARS!!!" and our cousin is tracking a little bit of blood that leads nowhere......

Cousin Jon, who is about the best shot I've ever seen, knocked down the giant buck with his 30-06 as it trotted by him and it lay 25 yds from his treestand, kicked 3 or 4 times, and "died".

When Jon quit shaking, he shouldered his pack and rifle and as soon as he stepped onto the ladder to climb down, the dead buck jumped up and took off right at my Dad (100 yrds over). Dad flailed a couple shots at this buck that was "GOING MACH 2" with 30-40 ft between each leap. and I'm surprised they didn't both have a coronary. We searched ALL DAY for more blood or any sign at all and....nothing.

Well.....the next day Cousin Jon shot a 9 pointer....a NICE buck. He and dad both said that the 9 was not a "pimple on the ass of the big bullet-proof one that got away".

I can see this is going to be a family legend for generations....and I'd never heard of deer getting knocked down for 2 or 3 minutes before getting up again, BUT it happens, I guess.

Last edited by Fretwear; 10-25-2012 at 06:08 AM.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:26 PM
Typical Buck

Yup iv seen it exactly how u described.close to spine but didnt damage anything vital shock of the bullet was close enough to the spine that the shock droped it
Old 10-26-2012, 07:54 AM
Fork Horn

Happened to me Monday.Seen a nice 6 point about 50 yards out,quartering towards me.I had a small opening between fir trees.I took a neck shot with my 30-30.It layed right over on it's side.I watched it for a minute,then started down the ladder.Crash crash.....I look and watched it run off.I went over to where it was laying and found a drop of blood about the size of a dime.I searched for 5 hrs and never found anything else.I keep checking for crows....nothing.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:45 AM
Spike

Same thing happened to me last year. I shot a nice size doe about 40-50 yards with my 30-06 and watched it drop. I got out of my blind with eyes still on it and looked down for a minute to text my father in law to bring the quad up. As soon as I looked up the doe had just got up and took off. We searched several hours and found no trace of a blood trail and returned the next morning but still nothing.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:11 PM
Spike

I always reload my lever action after taking a shot, "just in case". While watching I ensure the deer is dead prior to dismounting/moving. How do I tell? Usually that damn tongue sticks out the side of the mouth, never seen a deer fake that move. In all honesty I've never seen one drop and get back up, but apparently it happens, thanks for sharing the stories!
Old 10-26-2012, 06:29 PM
Fork Horn

I hope your buddy was on a controlled hunt @ one of the WMA's because muzzlerloader does not start until tomorrow in Oklahoma!