Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Weird thing happened to buddy tonight >

Weird thing happened to buddy tonight

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Weird thing happened to buddy tonight

Old 10-23-2012, 07:31 PM
Typical Buck

Default Weird thing happened to buddy tonight

My hunting buddy was out for muzzleloader season here in Oklahoma he had stalked up on a group of about six does. He got with in about 40 yards and took a shot. He seen the doe go down he walked over there close, about 20 yards or so he said she was still kicking a little so he turned around to make a call, he got done talking hung up and turned around to see doe run off with her tail in the air. He couldnt find any blood at all has this happened to anybody.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:29 AM
Fork Horn

YES! I shot one with a 270 two years ago and watched she dropped like a sack of bricks. I watched for about 2 mins and she never moved laying on her side. she was only 50 yards so I know i hit her. I could see he well from the stand but when i climbed down i couldn't see her because of the way the hill layed. when I walked up to where she was sitting it was like there was never a deer there. I looked for an hour and never found so much as a track or a drop of blood. I know where she was laying and I know I didn't just miss her but it was so frustrating. That is why I really don't like hunting with a rifle. I have rarely been able to find a solid blood trail with one in the rare occasion they don't drop.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:12 AM
Fork Horn

Nicked a couple high over the years,lots of nerves there. Deer flopped like a fish ,rested then took off. One bouncing on front legs a ways. It left a little hair and two drops of blood in snow. Tracked both a long ways,they left no sign of distress other than ones tracks swung out a little every hundred yards or so,suspect it was looking back.
One i creased low,it jumped straight up in the air. A couple drops of blood,a couple hairs.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:18 AM
Banned

yes. hit a big buck some years back at 30 yards with a 12 gauge slug. looked like i spine shot him. he went down hard. started kicking. i climbed out of my blind and started toward him. was gonna put another in him to end it quick. he jumped up and took off and i missed him 2 times(but sure killed those saplings) lots of hair no blood other than where he had fell. hit a deer high on top of their back and it will shock the spinal cord and drop em. figured that out the hard way.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

gun shot can knock a deer out...like mike tyson.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:03 AM
Typical Buck

no matter what, if a deer is still moving after the shot, you shoot them again.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Classic loin hit.

If you shoot a deer and it drops, watch it for a few minutes. If you have a muzzleloader, reload while watching the deer before doing anything else.

I generally don't aim at a deer such that I expect it to drop at the shot. So when one drops, I am very cautious.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:44 PM
Typical Buck

Well i got an update from my buddy he went back out there to hunt tonight didnt find any blood or any deer. So it could be like you all said just a bad shot that stunned her for a minute.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:00 PM
Typical Buck

The energy/velocity of a bullet has enough to knock anything out. That's probably what happened. I've personally never seen it before, but have heard of that happening quite a few times.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've seen it and heard of it, so I can tell you with a high level of certainty that this deer was hit above the spine in the loin area. They drop, kick a bit, get up and walk off. If you don't shoot them again, they're gone and will most likely survive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.