Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Getting in the woods too early, been reading a lot against it. >

Getting in the woods too early, been reading a lot against it.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Getting in the woods too early, been reading a lot against it.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:00 PM
Fork Horn

I always get in my stand way before it's cracking daylight. You will make noise regardless and when you do it in the dark the deer aren't sure what you are. A lot of times the deer will know you are there but will forget or calm down with a little silence. Also, being in your stand ups the odds of you getting a deer at daylight, if you aren't walking in until its cracking daylight you will spook deer that will most likely not return for a period of time. Just what I feel works for me. That's what you need to do as well, find what works for ya and stick with it. Good luck
Old 10-23-2012, 03:01 PM
Spike

I get to my stand about 20 minutes before shooting light.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its a coin toss! I like to get there 45 min before shooting time. Why, because I love hearing everything waking up. Days where I didnt see anything so I thought evening hunt. 4 in the afternoon, deer are already in the field. Mid evening snack??? Sleep in too long, and deer are moving around and seem to spot me before I do them. My motto says it, Everything comes to he who waits, if he can wait til it comes. So whatever time works best for your schedule, then thats the time to be out there.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

The only time I hunt mornings is during the rut, in which case I sit all day. But, I like to be in around an hour before light. I get to my stand sites on trails that I maintain, so I get in very quietly. Most times I can get to them without a light, but if needed, it gets pointed towards the ground only!
Old 10-23-2012, 07:26 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
I never understood the idea of getting to your spot 2 hours before first light. In addition to the points you raised, here are a few:

1.) Deer walk by and you can't shoot
2.) You are more likely to end your hunt early due to being cold if you're already sitting in the woods for 2 hours before you can see.
3.) You are more likely to end your hunt early due to being bored if you're already sitting in the woods for 2 hours before you can see.
4.) You will be hungry or have to go potty earlier in your hunt.

Plus, what time are you waking up? 3:00am? Might be better to get some more sleep so you are alert.

I say get in there 15-30 minutes before light is fine.
I thought I was the only one that froze to death, got bored/restless, stomach growling, and had to "hold it" for two hours! In the stand 15 minutes before legal shooting seems to work OK. Enough light to not be fumbling in the pitch dark but able to get settled in. And this is for gun hunting.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:32 PM
Spike

I guide up to fifty hunters a year and i never go into the woods until the sun is just breaking the horizon and u can see good enough to walk without a light!!
The deer u cant see is a deer u cant kill
Old 10-24-2012, 08:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

I like getting into my stand and ready at least an hour before legal shooting time if not earlier. Gives you time to go easy and not rush. Sometimes the early ones are passing my stand half hour before I can shoot. I like the woods to calm down after I get there. I'm not hunting the deer I may spook, but the ones that will get to my stand at daylight. Always nice to have deer underneath you right at shooting time. I've chased deer away in the middle of the day only to have them come back to investigate.