Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Where does soy rank in a deer's diet? >

Where does soy rank in a deer's diet?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Where does soy rank in a deer's diet?

Old 10-23-2012, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Where does soy rank in a deer's diet?

There is some public land I hunt with some really nice soybean fields. But with public land, there's a lot more pressure. I don't hunt bow, but muzzleloader opens Nov 3. I am wondering how productive it would be to hunt the wood edges of soybean fields when there is plenty of mast on the ground elsewhere. I have seen an unbelievable amount of acorns already.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:29 AM
Fork Horn

Stick to the acorns, afternoon I would set up between acorns and beans, morning I would set between acorns and bed.

Deer love beans, but most will vacate beans when nuts are falling
Old 10-23-2012, 12:28 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt mostly bean and corn, and from my experience its the least likable food.

They will eat when the beans are first staring to grow and the leaves are still green but as soon as the leaves turn yellow they go straight to the corn and acorns.

Late season when there isn't anything left the eat the deer will be out searching the fields for beans, only because there isn't anything else good to eat.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm in a corn/bean area. Deer prefer beans over corn! higher protein/bigger racks btw.

Deer do enjoy the cover of corn.

But I'm convinced deer would rather eat beans most of the time over corn. Corn at times may be preferred but not overall IMO.

Honestly I think neither is their preference.