HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Blue Tongue in Missouri? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/374287-blue-tongue-missouri.html)

tlathrop 10-23-2012 06:19 AM

Blue Tongue in Missouri?

Went hunting this weekend for the first time since my injury. Went to several farms that have not been hunted and I normally see lots of deer. I hardly saw any!!

I've heard from some farmers that they found several dead deer this summer and I'm wondering if it was the drought or blue tongue or both?

Valentine 10-23-2012 06:33 AM

Missouri -EHD

Missouri got hit with EHD, which can severely hit deer. I heard a report in September that it was hitting before archery season.

Either EHD or blue tongue, it does a number on deer. A herd of trophy bucks can virtually vanish in one year.

Last heard the fella from Missouri went to Georgia to hunt.

killerofgiants 10-23-2012 09:06 PM

I personally hunt oklahoma but i live right on the missouri border my grandparents own 1200 acres in missouri and he said he found over thirty dead deer on his property all from blue tongue

newton29 10-24-2012 12:54 PM

I have heard reports of blue tongue killing deer in southern MO and northern AR as recently as a month ago.

MUZZY 100 10-24-2012 12:59 PM

Its all over the midwest,started getting reports back in july and wont stop till you get a good frost to kill the midge..

fastetti 10-24-2012 04:57 PM

Most of us should be in the clear now with the cold tempatures we've already had. Thats the good news, the bad news is some places have been hit hard while others have not. I have a small spot near Chicago that we had 10 different deer all summer in camera and around October 2 they all disappeared off both cameras (30 yards apart) I'm not sure what happened but I'm hoping EHD didn't get them.

deerstalker85 10-24-2012 06:40 PM

I am not sure what EHD is? I have heard of CWD and Blue Tongue. I have heard north central missouri has had issues with CWD and that blue tongue has been found in all parts of Missouri and really bad in Illinois. If I had deer missing for a period of time I would check all the water sources in the area as this is typically where the deer with blue tongue are being found. If these searches turn up empty, the other answer is this time of year deer start to disappear from areas and show up in others due to pre rut activity and searching for does and new food sources.

chrisvie13 10-25-2012 02:33 PM

We got whacked with that **** pretty bad here in New Jersey. I have found 12 dead so far. I notice a big difference in the size of the deer herd this year.

emmittstill 11-11-2012 06:30 PM

Ehd

northern missouri and southern iowa are at 75 to 90% death loss DNR biologist told me if everything goes right and people leave the does alone we can recover in 3 or 4 years with numbers and in 6 years for herd quality

bookfire1238 11-12-2012 12:13 AM

Really good thread!