Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Question about some deer behavior I heard this morning. >

Question about some deer behavior I heard this morning.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Question about some deer behavior I heard this morning.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:40 AM
Fork Horn

Default Question about some deer behavior I heard this morning.

Rut is starting to pick up pretty good here and I put out a ton of corn at a stand that has high doe traffic and also has a camera near by thats been showing a lot of bucks ranging from small 4s to nice 8s or even 9s. I got in the stand about an hour before daylight as usual. I like getting in them early so if I spook anything close by an hour is usually enough time for them to feel safe enough to come back.

I had been in the stand maybe 20 minutes when I heard real loud blowing about 15 feet in front of my at about my 10 o'clock a little ways in the woods. At first I was like crap hes smelled me or saw my 4 wheeler. But then I heard another deer start blowing about 25 feet to my 6 o'clock on a trail that runs behind my stand. The one close to me sounded pretty big. They just kept blowing at each other. I could tell the one behind me was running back and forth on that trail as his blowing was at different places. The one close to me just stood his ground and I could also hear him stomping his front hoof into the ground.

Were these two deer probably bucks getting into a pissing match over whos territory that was? I never saw either deer once the sun came up. Had they started doing this say when it was daylight what should I have done to get them out in the open for a shot? It sounded like the bigger one was obviously looking for a fight because the other deer eventually ran off.

I have never used grunt calls or rattling but would either of those pushed one of them over the limit and got him out into the open looking for a fight? Just wondering so if the same thing happens again, and I cant see them, what I should do to draw them out.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:14 AM
Typical Buck

I have never heard of deer blowing at each other. I think you were busted by the first deer and it made the deer behind you nervous as well. Just MHO.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:18 AM
Fork Horn

Yea but when I have been busted usually they blow and then I hear them hauling ass through the woods. This deer stayed there for at least 5 minutes. And I never heard him run away so I assume he just casually moved on. Also I have watched whitetail hunting videos where the guys were using a blow call. Obviously they must blow for other ways of communicating other than the "Lets get the hell out of here" blow. I mean why would a professional deer hunter be blowing unless deer use it for reasons other than a warning that they sense danger?

Last edited by thomasmgp; 10-22-2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:13 AM
Fork Horn

You got busted, it was dark they did not know what u were.

End of story.

You are thinking of a snort wheeze, they do that before playing grab ass.

I have seen a doe blow while being harasses by a small buck, bit you had deer at 20 yds, they dont like you
Old 10-22-2012, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Night Crawler
You got busted, it was dark they did not know what u were.

End of story.

You are thinking of a snort wheeze
What he said. I had two does blow at me from 20-50 yards for about 30 minutes yesterday after my bow hit my ladder stand and made a small noise. They never knew exactly what I was, and they never bolted, but they knew that something wasn't right.

And as for the snort wheeze, it is a buck "challenge" call. I have blown at deer in the woods before...two years ago I was walking in a little later than normal (just about shooting light already), and had a deer start blowing about 50 yards to my right. I slowly kept walking, and the deer kept blowing. At this point I could tell that it was a doe and a fawn. I blew back, kept walking, and the deer walked with the same pace as me for about 20 yards, and blew again. I blew back again, hoping she would run off, but she came closer to me...that was the last thing she ever did.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mackesr
I have never heard of deer blowing at each other. I think you were busted by the first deer and it made the deer behind you nervous as well. Just MHO.

It does sound like you were busted. I've also never heard them blow at each other. I've also seen and heard them stamp their hooves like that when I've been busted as well.

Last edited by Buckhunter46755; 10-22-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't know if YOU we're busted. But your scent seems to have been.

Maybe they just didn't know where you were so they just backed on out.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator

As Old Uncle Matt said, They smelled your scent somewhere. One deer started blowing, and because of that the other started. Use more cover scent, maybe some Fox or Coon pee sprayed on your boots before you walk in. Not a whole lot you can do about the 4x4 except park it farther away. I assume it was close, if you were thinking they had seen it, and they were only 15-25 ft away.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wish I could tell you what you heard was "unusual"....

But it's not!!! Happens to us deer hunters all the time...
Old 10-23-2012, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Been there done that.They knew something was wrong but they didn't know what or where.Thats when i give them a doe grunt with my "True Talker"and see if I can calm them down.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.