HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   bloodshot meat (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/374114-bloodshot-meat.html)

Hanson423 10-19-2012 03:02 PM

bloodshot meat

what are the best ways to prevent bloodshot meat? and if you do have bloodshot meat whats the best way to clean it up? and why isnt it ok to eat it?

uncle matt 10-19-2012 03:34 PM

Bloodshot meat I believe is done by either getting shot or like vehicle impact. It is the blood release into tissue from the veins exploding.

I know you don't eat it. Trim it out, maybe cook it some and feed it to the dogs.

Hanson423 10-19-2012 05:51 PM

could you get the lungs/maybe heart from shooting it in the lungs?

skeeter 7MM 10-19-2012 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Hanson423 (Post 3993043)
could you get the lungs/maybe heart from shooting it in the lungs?

No blood shot is caused by trauma in the wound channel area, it can be bone or projectile fragments.

Its not good to eat. RR told you how to prevent or minimize it.

Tundra10 10-19-2012 11:21 PM

I just scrape (like when ya scale a fish) the area till most is gone then cook and eat.

Gunplummer 10-20-2012 08:08 AM

I am with Tundra 10, or you can soak it in salt water in the fridge over night. I used to do it with squirrels and rabbits and it really draws the blood out. Some of the locals I met in WV do the whole deer like that.

Nomercy448 10-21-2012 07:08 PM

Bloodshot meat is basically bruised. I never eat it unless I just grind it in with the rest of the burger, but other than avoiding potential bone or bullet frags, there's no reason you couldn't. It may have a worse gamey or "iron-y" taste, from the bruising blood, but in general it doesn't have anything wrong with it.

But, well shot, there won't be much bloodshot meat, and there's a lot of OTHER meat that's worth eating, so other than grinding burger, I just don't mess with it. My wife HATES finding bullet frags and bone frags in spaghetti or chili, so I leave well enough alone.

jessioward 10-22-2012 12:01 AM

It is the blood release into tissue from the veins exploding.

redgreen 10-22-2012 09:18 AM

Use a heavy for caliber bullet and shoot behind the shoulder into the lungs. Heavier sectional density which prevents it from opening up as violently.Doesn't matter to me if i blow a big hole through the rib cage. Anything that is bloodshot is trimmed and scrapped. There is microscopic lead fragments in that area, and sometimes chunks. I don't like checking my dinner with a metal detector.

deerdust 10-22-2012 10:35 PM

The amount of bloodshot meat shouldn't be much on a good heart shot. Maybe a little on one shoulder or the other according to your shot angle. Bullet or arrow will give do it. I would just trim it away and not worry about it. You're not losing much meat anyway.