Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
what does high pressure and low pressure mean when deer huinting >

what does high pressure and low pressure mean when deer huinting

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

what does high pressure and low pressure mean when deer huinting

Old 10-18-2012, 09:53 PM
Spike

Default what does high pressure and low pressure mean when deer huinting

ive deer hunted for years but i never questioned what high and low pressure ment when deer hunting witch one is better and why and how can i tell what day is going to be high or low ?
Old 10-18-2012, 11:16 PM
Typical Buck

High pressure is calm, stable, usually mild/typical for season conditions. "Still, bluebird days" with high, blue skies, maybe a few, thin clouds but usually no precipitation or widespread clouds. Temps can be cold but usually there is little to no wind & conditions are calm/steady.

Low pressure is just the opposite... unstable conditions, precipitation, low, thick clouds, low levels of sunlight (if any), winds.

A nice, clear, cold, still, high pressure day in the prime rut is what most of us dream for & enjoy. BUT some of the BEST times I've spent afield (& had the greatest & most predictable days afield) were/are during periods of impending change!

If you've had several days of stable/nornal weather & then the forecast calls for things "to go to hell in a handbasket", then leave work & get your butt in a tree during that transition. The winds will shift & become quite stronger & steady, precip might be threatening & ESPECIALLY if this coming front is forecasted to last more than 24-48 hrs. Essentially all animals can sense this drop in pressure & natures hints of "Something wicked this way cometh"! The morning or afternoon before this front blows thru can be DYNAMITE action as the critters scurry for one last "free for all & feeding frenzy" before mother nature drops her hammer on them.

Then again, after a couple of days of real crappy weather, that next morning/afternoon of calmness is time to get back out there as the critters get busy makin up for the time they lost while holed up during the inclement weather.

A rising/steady barometer = high pressure. A dropping/low barometer = low pressure.

Remember it this way, "High pressure means high skies/clouds. Low pressure means low skies/clouds."
Old 10-18-2012, 11:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

High pressure = lots of hunters in the woods

Low pressure = not alot of hunters in the woods

High = hunt escape routes

Low = hunt normal travel routes
Old 10-19-2012, 04:43 AM
Spike

thanks guys that was helpful
Old 10-19-2012, 06:14 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

Personally, I have not found high/low pressure to be nearly the factor it is for fishing. Still, nice weather, provided you don't get busted, seems to be better, especially during the rut. The bigger factor for me is ability to set up without alerting deer. NO wind often leads to alerting deer in setup. Also, light rain or drizzle will have deer moving all day long, leading to a better chance of seeing a deer and also a better chance of getting busted in setup.