Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

hunting bullet

Old 10-18-2012, 05:29 PM
Spike

Exclamation hunting bullet

I have a new gun to use this year a TC Icon 308 .Where I hunt is heavily wooded.Id say 75 ys shot at the max.Most be in the 25 yd rande.What hunting bullet would you pick
Old 10-18-2012, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most rifles chambered for 308 Win. handle 165 gr. bullets very well. I'd try a few different brands/bullet combinations to see which one grouped the best.
Deer are not all that tough. In my book the bullet is not the issue .... it is the group. However, as a 40+year 308 Win. user for deer and feral hogs, my favorite two bullets are relatively "old" technology ... the Sierra Game King and the Nosler Partition. Of the two I use the Game King most often. It is a lead core boat tail. Superb long range accuracy, expands great at the far distances and is a great killer at short range as well. However, I have had 2 jacket separations. Both of these incidences were on deer at very close range. And neither stayed on their feet farther than 10 - 15 yards. And these 2 are probably 2 out of 200 +/- kills.

There are also several other excellent bullets out there now .. offerings from Federal, Hornady and Winchester (and others). So you should not have trouble finding one that will do the job inside 100 yards.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:38 PM
Spike

so far I have shot federal power shok 150's and remington core loct 150 I am going to look for a box in Winchester power points tomorrow.Accuracy wise the fed and rem were basically even
Old 10-18-2012, 09:20 PM
Typical Buck

@ that distance I'd shoulder my smooth bore 12ga and heart punch em' with a 1oz. Fed
Old 10-19-2012, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try some 180 grain. If they shoot well, Stick with them.Heavier sectional density and they won't tear them up as bad.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

For that short of distance I would hunt with a slug gun with a rifled barrel dont shoot not BS smooth bore. Might as well take buckshot out there and spray and pray.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:32 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by cowboy4513
For that short of distance I would hunt with a slug gun with a rifled barrel dont shoot not BS smooth bore. Might as well take buckshot out there and spray and pray.
It's got more to do with skill.
In my youth I honed my skill with a smooth bore 12ga. I wasn't afforded the luxury of a rifled barrel, so therefore to this day I can still heart punch em' out to 100yds consistantly.
I do agree that rifled barrels will give a bit further range, but inside 100yds I'd drop a deer with ease.
In a rifled slug gun a 20ga. is all you need
Old 10-20-2012, 07:28 AM
Fork Horn

spray and pray ..... lmfao.... not even with an old pumkin ball style remington slugger would i say smooth bore was spray and pray but at the worst they were good for deer at 100 yds in a decent shooters hands ... I am talking back in the day..... but in the early 80s they started making slugs that fit the bore of the gun and it made them even better...Brennekie slugs out of my Ithaca 12 guage smooth bore took one of my biggest bucks out at 175 yds and my grandfather killed out too 200 plus with his browning smoothbore and brennekie slugs.But then again I come from a family of shooters some people smoke .... some people drink ... some people shop... we shoot.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

If we really want to get picky and show skill, I would shoot them at that distance with my 44 Mag and not even waste the ammo of my slug gun.
But, if I were to have to use my .308, I would either use Nosler Ballistic Tips or Hornady SST's. Which ever one grouped best from your weapon.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:35 PM
Typical Buck

Hmmm. I might as well just start aiming about 3' over their backs with my 1970's Jennings compound (only if they're trotting and not hell bent for election)! Lol
The pepperbox pistol will rain death too!!
My apologies Icon308win for gumming up your thread with "punkin' ball banter"!
Good luck with your new piece!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.