Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Cold weather baselayer clothing question. >

Cold weather baselayer clothing question.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Cold weather baselayer clothing question.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:24 PM
Spike

Default Cold weather baselayer clothing question.

I am from Minnesota, so it gets cold here in the hunting season.
Looking for a better baselayer then the cotton underwear shirt and pants. I never used the Under Armour or these other type shirts that feel like a silk and are stretchy.
What would you recommend? Do you put a t-shirt under it, so not to stink it up if I am going to use it each day? And for the pants, would you still use cotton underwear, and does that go on the inside or outside? Do you want the scentcheck type material to fit loose or snug?
In the morning I walk up a 150 yard bluff to my stand. I carry most of my clothes on my back-pack, but I do sweat when walking a little. It is a very steep hill. That is bad if you sweet and plan on sitting in 15 to 30 degree weather.

My normal clothes is 2 layers of sweet pants and shirts, 2 or 3 sweetshirts, insulated pants, full size insulated hunting suit, sometimes a jack , and of course hat, face mask, gloves, boots, and handwarmers. I have been in 0 degree weather with this and fine, and able to pull back a bow. but I want to find new ways to make my clothes lighter, less bulky, and warmer.

Thanks for any help
Old 10-17-2012, 06:39 PM
Fork Horn

I have the under armor cold gear. It's supposed to be tight. Also you don't wear anything under it. In real cold weather I wear the base layer as it trypsin heat, but also wicks away moisture. The. I wear a looser, but not too loose mock tee with a front zipper that also wicks away moisture, covered with a wool lined sweatshirt, and finally my insulated camo coat.

For pants, I wear the base layer, long johns, jeans, and if cold enough, insulated bibs. Do a search on layering. Cotton iis some of the worst stuff you can wear to stay warm. Once it's wet, it sucks heat away from you. Once you are cold, you're staying cold...

A down jacket/vest however will continue to insulate you and keep you warm, even if it becomes wet...
Old 10-17-2012, 07:14 PM
Typical Buck

I recomend you look up cold weather layering, to get an idea which materials should go where.
Basically synthetic against the skin is best as it keeps moisture off the skin.
Then your warm layer, wool, fleece are good, and your outer shell,
If your sweating while hiking, slow it down,
Take off a layer, open zippers, anything not to sweat.
Then bundle up at your stand.
If you sweat, will just be cold and wet when you do stop.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not cotton for sure. I do wear cotton briefs ....

I was given a top-bottom set of Under Armour brand cold weather gear. I had been using a Cabelas brand of base layer ... a more loosely fitting poly-wool blend. It worked great. The Under Armour fits tightly, especially on my rotund body .... but it is warm. This surprised my old fashioned self. I liked the stuff so much that I bought another set for layering.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:52 AM
Spike

thank you, I will do a search on cold weather layering
Old 10-18-2012, 06:53 AM
Spike

I am also from Minnesota so I understand what your talking about when you say it gets cold during the hunt. I wear Under Armour underneath my hunting clothes and it really does help. If you do decide to purchase Under Armour make sure you get cold gear. they sell cold-gear and heat-gear and i've seen people buy heat-gear by mistake on more than one occasion. I also carry feet warmers and hand warmers, after using these I'll never go hunting without them again. They are only a buck a piece at a gas station-very much recommended for minnesota hunting
Old 10-18-2012, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

UNDER ARMOUR
cant beat it..but if it aint cold cold..dont wear it, you'll die of heat exhaustion. literally, you can wear just the under armor..it comes in camo..although yer friends might think ya joined the ballet. and if someone see's you they might call the cops who needs the hassle?
Old 10-18-2012, 07:32 AM
Fork Horn

I'm in Wisconsin and our winters are pretty similar to yours.

Ditch anything cotton and you won't need as many layers. Cotton holds moisture, even if you don't work up a sweat, and moisture is your number one enemy to staying warm while hunting.

Wash your clothes with scent-killer detergent as needed (not after every hunt). Use synthetics (think Under Armour Cold Gear, fleece long underwear) and natural non-cottons (wool, down). Layer clothes--but be sure that they're not tight. Fewer layers is better than tight layers--my hunting jacket and pants are huge to allow layers underneath (2XL). And arrive to your stand slightly chilled and then bundle up to avoid locking sweat into your outfit.

Unfortunately, this meaning buying some hunting clothes--ditch the jeans, sweat pants, cotton underwear, and cotton undershirts.

Also, don't buy cheapo hunting clothes that don't breath. You want some sort of waterproof BREATHABLE outer jacket and pants. I once layered up with long underwear and fleece pants (4 layers?) and had a camo waterproof pant on last. It was cheap and didn't breathe. I ended up with all the moisture from my body wicking outward to the camo pants and then freezing there. I had a layer of sweat-snow just inside my pants because of my low quality camo pants!

Last year's gun opening was cold (below freezing) and I sat on stand from before sunrise to after sunset without leaving once. Getting the right gear and using it right makes a world of difference.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:50 AM
Typical Buck

From the ground up:
80/20 wool/poly socks
1000gram thinsulate boots
military grade long underwear (tops and bottoms)
pants
long sleeve turtle neck
fleece pullover (1/4 zip style)
jacket
fleece face mask (hand made)

Here in Indiana, it doesnt get as cold as Minn. but thats what I use on a regular basis. Now if it gets colder, I will throw on the insulated bibs and jacket with my long underwear and fleece. I have limited my layers so I dont feel like the Stay-Puff Marshmellow Man yet I stay warm while on stand. I hunt all day and when I feel I need a little extra warmth for my hands (i hate big gloves), I'll put a hand warmer in my hand-muff (wear on your waist) and it keeps the wind of my fingers/hands and allows me to keep them extra warm if need be.

You can also help stay out there longer with little clothing by placing a Thermacare back wrap around your kidneys. I've done this while hunting on stand in blistery conditions in the late season and has saved me from heading for the fireplace and warm bowl of chili and I have harvested late season deer because I stayed out there in the cold. Good luck and hope all our suggestions help you.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:02 AM
Fork Horn

I agree with dvalliere, you will have to spend some money, you don't have to do it all at once though. That's what off seasons are for... Tight is bad, cotton is bad, wet is bad.. You need moisture wicking clothes and make sure you layer it well. When I was young my dad used to bundle me up with every piece of clothing he could find to "keep me warm" and it never worked. I don't wear very much clothing even hunting on below zero days during late season but the clothes I wear are high quality.. Outer garments such as wool and Berber are Great clothes on the dry days but don't do a ton of good when they get wet.. Invest in less clothes but high quality and you will see a HUGE difference in your comfort level. Also, don't wear all the stuff into your tree, get a cheap backpack or mountain pack and dress light walking into your stand, give yourself plenty of time to get there and get changed into your warm gear once you get to the stand, if you get sweated up going in, it's almost impossible to get warm again once you cool off. Moisture wicking bottom couple layers are VERY important. Also, if your comfortable in your stand, you will be able to sit longer and be more still and it will up your odds on harvesting a animal. The more time your in your tree and doing things right the more success you will have... The scent killer/blocker clothing and clothes wash, dryer sheets, hair wash, under arm deoderant, body and hair lotion all work well and are a huge advantage we have to staying "scent free" use it all, its a system that works well... good luck to you. Remember you don't have to buy it all at once but you will get what you pay for... Shoot straight and good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.