Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Reason to be nervous?

Old 10-16-2012, 04:09 PM
Spike

Default Reason to be nervous?

I was scouting a new spot to hunt and I set up my trail camera where I wanted to put my stand. Walking out I found some fresh bear crap. That made me a little nervous I'm in Massachusetts and never seen a black bear before. The next week I walked in with my stand to set it up and my cameras been mauled a bit I looked at the pics and its a good size black bear. Now walking in and out I'm on edge because I've never ran into one in the woods before. Am I just worrying over nothing or should I be concerned I might run into it. And will deer hang around where a bear is?
Old 10-16-2012, 06:05 PM
Fork Horn

I routinely get deer and bear photos within hours of each other in the same spot. So I wouldn't worry about the deer moving out.

But yes, it can be a bit intimidating to walk in the woods with knowledge of a bear in your area. But the reality is that the black bears are more scared of you. As long as you stay away from a sow with cubs, you should be ok. But if you need that extra piece of mind. Either carry a side arm with you when bow-hunting (if legal in your state) or just carry a spray bottle of bear repellant ... you can get thru Cabelas for instance.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:51 PM
Typical Buck

I wouldn't and don't worry about black bears or coyotes.
Now Sasquatch is a different story!
Old 10-16-2012, 11:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

You'll be ok.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

We've got a lot of bears in our hunting area. I've had my camera messed with also. (What is it about game cameras that make bears want to play with them?) In any case, in all the years of hunting, bow, gun, turkey, none of us have ever had a problem with them. They want absolutely nothing to do with you.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:11 AM
Fork Horn

Black bears are pretty much harmless unless they are wounded or used to people. I got in-between a mother and 2 cubs last year. Once they knew I was in the area they chose to run rather than be aggressive.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:00 AM
Spike

I figured they wouldn't want anything to do with me but I just wanted to hear it from other people that hunt around them before I went in careless about them
Old 10-17-2012, 06:13 AM
Spike

All the bears that I've seen while deer hunting (3) have taken off FAST.....they didn't want anything to do with me (thankfully). They can really move through the woods too, amazingly fast.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:47 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Bowhunter527
I figured they wouldn't want anything to do with me but I just wanted to hear it from other people that hunt around them before I went in careless about them
You don't have to be afraid but respect them always. Its better to be prepared with a side arm or bear spray just incase!
Old 10-17-2012, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

9 out of 10 black bears are not looking for trouble. Unfortunately, they do not come in that order. Just keep your eyeballs open, and get a bear tag.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.