Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
What would you do in this situation? >

What would you do in this situation?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What would you do in this situation?

Old 10-15-2012, 07:00 AM
Fork Horn

You did the right thing, & should feel good about it. Doc
Old 10-15-2012, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by deerslyer11
Yesterday morning i was watching a group of does in the field. On the corner of my eye about 250 yards away i saw a large bodied deer come out of the crick bottom. It was a very nice 8 that i have been hunting. He was making his way towards me like he was on a string. But then from underneath me a spike with an arrow sticking out of his hind end came walking out. Now me being a good sportsman i shot the spike so he didnt suffer, but that spooked the big buck. I am happy with my decision, what do all you sportsman think?

You did the right thing.
Just think how much bigger the 8 point will be when you see him again.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

A hindquarters shot wouldn't do much. The spoiler almost certainly would have survived.

IMO it is my responsibility to minimize suffering of the animal I hunt and not play maid to another hunters bad placed shot regardless of any other deer present.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tough decision made tougher because of our regs. IF the spike was walking around (as close to normal as one can with an arrow in it's arse) he probably would continue to walk away from me. Also, Antler Restrictions limit us to a minimum of 4 points on one side here in MO.

Now if the spikes were still short enough that I could slap a doe tag on him, I'd take him out.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would have shot the spike since we do not have a tag system and I would hope to see the eight again.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:16 PM
Fork Horn

That's a pickle of a question. The absolute right thing to do is put the animal down. Tag or no tag. What if you saw and shot the 8 pt first and were tagged out. Now what?

And again, tough call if your in the wrong state and can't legally tag it anyway. I've seen hunters "do the right thing", call the Warden and I personally will NEVER call them without MY arse being completely covered. They see everything Black and White. Which is what they're paid to do.

For me it's a moral question. Although, I think my answer is the same regardless of legality. Because they will someday write the law: if you have this situation, you must harvest (you should) and tag that animal (you shouldn't have too). So now, your in the wrong place at the wrong time? And I lose my season because of it. I have to shoot a buck I didn't want to and now I'm tagged out..... I don't think so Tim. We all know being in the right place at the right time is tough enough.

I know I'll hear VIOLATOR... but

I put him down, I don't tag him, and put him in the freezer. And I feel like a honorable and ethical hunter. And I sleep very well.

Last edited by timmyzimmy; 10-15-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default I feel your pain....

Years ago while coonhunting at night I walked upon a buck that had been shot many times. Hit in the leg, bottom jaw was flopping by skin....so I had a choice to make, kill it and break about 5 laws or walk away.

I made the same choice as you. I shot it with my .22 and put it out of it's misery but was too afraid to call the game warden and try to get a tag for it. It was after dark, with a .22, no deer tag, etc, etc....I still think i did the right thing. That deer was simply going to starve to death.....
Old 10-15-2012, 02:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by timmyzimmy
That's a pickle of a question. The absolute right thing to do is put the animal down. Tag or no tag. What if you saw and shot the 8 pt first and were tagged out. Now what?

And again, tough call if your in the wrong state and can't legally tag it anyway. I've seen hunters "do the right thing", call the Warden and I personally will NEVER call them without MY arse being completely covered. They see everything Black and White. Which is what they're paid to do.

For me it's a moral question. Although, I think my answer is the same regardless of legality. Because they will someday write the law: if you have this situation, you must harvest (you should) and tag that animal (you shouldn't have too). So now, your in the wrong place at the wrong time? And I lose my season because of it. I have to shoot a buck I didn't want to and now I'm tagged out..... I don't think so Tim. We all know being in the right place at the right time is tough enough.

I know I'll hear VIOLATOR... but

I put him down, I don't tag him, and put him in the freezer. And I feel like a honorable and ethical hunter. And I sleep very well.
Great post. I totally agree with this thinking, except I would have left the deer for the other creatures. I'd just spare that (illegal buck in Pa) deer a lot of misery and that's it.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:42 PM
Spike

Last year during rifle season I got pictures of a doe with an arrow in her hind quarter. I talked to the game wardens and they said to leave her alone and let mother nature take it course. I saw her while out hunting and she had a noticeable limp and the wound seemed infected. I put her down and let the coyotes have a free meal. Mother nature took it's course with a little help.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:07 AM
Fork Horn

Right move from my perspective,maybe next chess game with a buck a little karma coming your way!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.