Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Dumb question

Old 10-12-2012, 09:00 AM
Fork Horn

Teeth are the only way to be positive of the exact age. That's how biologists age them. If you're aging them in the field (ie. before you shoot them...LOL), it's an inexact science and seems to vary a bit from place to place. Fawns are easy, after that it gets a little muddier. I've seen yearling bucks at one location that are larger than older deer at another location.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thank you UP

Really I'm shocked at some of the responses

Search on the net you'll have no problem finding it Get yourself a chart of tooth wear plus look at some pictures of teeth that give you the ages and you'll be rolling right along

By the way cutting the mouth and pull the mouth open will give you a lot better look at those rear teeth
Old 10-12-2012, 09:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Tooth wear once in your hand. In the field posture(sway back and or sagged belly), size of legs to body, forehead looks tuffed or swollen, roman nose - dropped and demeanor. A mature buck walks the walk and talks the talk...he's king in his mind and wears it with pride. Body size in terms of girth and thickness can be another indicator, however big body genetics are normal (here) so it wouldn't by my first way to try and put a maturity mark on him. Great way is history, knowing the bucks in your area and watching them develop but you'll always get those where did he come from....

Antler size not so much, while maturity will allow that deer to reach its full potential, genes, food and stress play a big part in year to year antler growth. IE: world record archery mule deer buck was taken in 2011 here, he put on over 70"'s of antler in one season...sheds from previous year put him at 200" mark. Crazy!!!
Old 10-13-2012, 02:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default If hunters generally knew the ages of deer

, and wouldn't harvest a deer under five, most of them would stop hunting.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:34 AM
Fork Horn

Here is a fairly good website that visually might help you judge a buck on the hoof. There are other sites that does as good or better a job.

https://www.outdooralabama.com/hunti...a%20Poster.pdf
Old 10-13-2012, 06:43 AM
Fork Horn

Never really mattered to me.... if it doesnt have spots it goes down.... if its late season with no meat in the freezer spots are fair game too.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

By the way,there is no dumb questions here.I think I heard somewhere,the only dumb question is the one you didn't ask.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by FlDeerman
By the way,there is no dumb questions here.I think I heard somewhere,the only dumb question is the one you didn't ask.
Amen to that!

Dumb answers well thats a different story...lol