Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Climber or Blind?

Old 10-09-2012, 05:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default Climber or Blind?

Im currently hunting from a large ladder stand, but last weekend I had a guy set up about 50ft behind me. Im not sure if he is going to be there permanently or not, but its not my property so I cant tell him to hit the road.

Needless to say I need something more readily movable. Im thinking a climber, so I can go where ever I want, including public land. Then again I have a nephew that keeps bugging me to take him hunting, so a blind would be better suite. Ive never had a climber, nor used one, so Im afraid they are more work than they are worth. I love the height of a treestand, but the ease of ground hunting. I really dont want to purchase both.

Are climbers worth the money? Dick's has a Gorilla Stealth XT on sale for $159.

Or should I buy a blind for ease of us, and I can take my nephew on the few occasions he wants to go?
Old 10-09-2012, 05:57 PM
Typical Buck

Climbers are a good tool to have. An alternative to a pop up blind is a roll of camo burlap. It might take a little more time to set up, but you should be able to brush it in pretty well.
I'm wondering if the other guy even knew you were there. It doesn't make sense to set up that close. I had a guy do that last year during gun season. He looked right at me before plopping down on his bucket. Out of spite I kept moving around, coughing, and I even made a phone call. He soon left. I had a horrible toothache, so I was not in the mood for some jackhole to come near me. It was opening day, so a toothache wasn't gonna' keep me from hunting. The phonecall was to my fiance telling her to schedule a dentist appointment.LOL
Back to your question. The burlap is inexpensive and you could take your nephew the day before you plan on hunting and show him how to set up a blind.
Good luck
Old 10-09-2012, 06:10 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt a lot from blinds and climbers. If you get a climber get it light. If you get a blind make sure you have enough room to shoot a bow or gun and be prepared for awkward shots sitting down. If there are plenty of climbable trees I would use a climber. It keeps you out of the line of fire on public land too!
Old 10-09-2012, 06:14 PM
Fork Horn

I like the climber, lots of versatility versus a fixed stand obviously. Just need to make sure you are nimble enough still to lug the extra 22-28 pounds of stand around in the woods. Not too fond of blinds up here in Wi because I utilize public lands as well as private lands and there is a stipulation here now that the blind must be covered in a set percentage of blaze orange....
Old 10-09-2012, 06:19 PM
Fork Horn

I would get the climber. I sold my Summit classic (steel) to my cousin last year and I bought the new Summit Viper SD. It's identical to what I had except its Alluminum and 7 pounds lighter. I bought mine on eBay for $240.00. But if your on a tight budget, you can get the Viper classic for $150 or so.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:21 PM
Fork Horn

I love my alpha max by lone wolf. seems the most compact and lightweight out there. Very easy to set up and move while in the tree to adjust the seat height.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:07 PM
Fork Horn

All I generally hunt out of is a climber. Love'em, but they have their advantages and disadvantages like anything else.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I'm Seeing more 50 foot distances from the advertising

From the increased sales of permanent type stands and many hunters not staying in "hunting" shape, I see a continuing problem.

I see more hunters congregating in 100 yards from a trail or road. More hunters in a small area, the advantage goes to the deer to scent and pick up the movement of hunters.

But I don't need anyone to agree with me. As long as I hunt my way, hauling, for longer distances, a climbing tree stand into and out of the woods, where a tree stand is necessary, I do it my way.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you are hunting public land I would defiantly use a climber,keeps you out of the line of fire.Climbers now a days are very easy to use.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:15 AM
Fork Horn

I just bought the API Crusader....I have yet to use it, but from all that I have read and heard, it is an awesome stand. I have never used a climber but my brother-in-law swears by them. For me, I think the choice of moving to different areas to hunt will definitely be beneficial. I can't wait to try it out!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.