Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

question about scent control

Old 10-09-2012, 07:14 AM
Spike

Default question about scent control

I live in Northern Virginia, Fairfax county to be exact. The deer in this area are rampant. Our hunting season starts september 1st and goes through till March 1st. The area is highly populated with people.

My question is about scent control, specifically; do i need to be as scrupulous about scent control as someone who lives in a much less human populated area? The deer in my area are city deer, i think its safe to say that probably 99% of the deer in NOVA are never farther than 1 mile, dare i say a quarter mile, away from people.

I've always washed my clothes in baking soda, air dried them outside, sprayed them with scent killer, and stored them in an air tight plastic tote. This year im going to be hunting mainly in the evening after work (office job). Are there any measures i can take to de-scent my body, quickly right before i go into the woods??

In the mornings i take a shower with scent killer body wash and use scent free deodorant. Im confident that my morning hunts are very scent free.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:52 AM
Spike

I'll tell you what has me completely impressed is the "powder" from Dead Down Wind. I understand what your saying about hunting in populated areas, and I believe that you're right that you don't need to worry as much about scent control as someone hunting in on a 1,000 + acre ranch where some deer have never seen people. However, my opinion is it never hurts to be as scent free as possible.

All that being said, I'm also a smoker and I go a little over board with the scent control thing because of it. I certainly don't smoke on stand and I try not to hunt unless I can get a shower a first and I wear nothing in the woods that has been in my house, garage, or truck. I get changed in the field outside my truck and my freshly washed clothes go directly from the dryer into scent lock bags and then into air tight totes. unfortunately, because of kids and busy schedules, I'm forced to hunt in the evenings sometimes and I'm not able to get a shower. I've been 100% impressed by the DDW scent killing powder. I've actually tested this stuff by have a smoke and then rubbing it into my hands and asking non-smokers if they can smell smoke and they couldn't. If I can't shower before a hunt I'll strip down in the field (even if it's cold) and rub this powder all over myself, putting emphasis on my arms, hands, face and hair. I know a look a little silly cause it leaves a white residue, but I've even hunted from the ground and had doe within 10 feet downwind and not been busted since I started using this stuff. I now have cans of this in all my packs and totes. It's even great for those long hikes in where you get a little sweaty, because it will absorb all the moisture and cool you off.

Anyway, sorry about the long post, but I've been really impressed with this stuff. Dang, maybe DDW should put me on the pro-staff and pay me for this endorsement.

Good luck out there and shoot straight!!
Old 10-09-2012, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowh...cent-free.html

here is a few ideas from bak in the day
Old 10-09-2012, 08:07 AM
Fork Horn

I've hunted areas frequented by a lot of people (e.g. hikers, bikers, etc) and what I've noticed is that the deer can tell the difference between the usual traffic and hunters. They're used to scent and pressure on the trails, etc, but as soon as you enter the adjacent woods, they know people don't usually venture there...except hunting season. I've watched bucks pay little attention to the loud mountain bikers 150 yards away on the trails...and yet get antsy at the first sign of intrusion into the woods.

Re: smoking...no amount of scent products can eliminate that smell. If I can smell it, the deer certainly can! That's one smell that's nearly impossible to get rid of without washing clothes (often more than once) and bathing. Funny part is smokers cannot even smell it!
Old 10-09-2012, 08:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hunt high (20' or higher), hunt the wind, and forget about it!
Old 10-09-2012, 08:26 AM
Spike

all very good advice. Ill have to check out that powder. Im not a smoker so i dont have to worry about all that noise.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

smoke bath aint bad either. hanging yer gear in the horse stables works like a charm.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:17 PM
Banned

check out the ozonics systems might be what you are looking for.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:56 PM
Typical Buck

There is absolutly nothing you can do that will beat a whitetails nose... To me scent control means keeping the target animal up wind. They will smell every where you walk that they cross, and if your scent stream gets to them they will smell it... Don't believe all the hype.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:41 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Bukmastr
There is absolutly nothing you can do that will beat a whitetails nose... To me scent control means keeping the target animal up wind. They will smell every where you walk that they cross, and if your scent stream gets to them they will smell it... Don't believe all the hype.
amen to that.

do be clean...body and cloths, but other than that you are pissin money and time away. You are not going to fool an animal that knows the woods better than the forest itself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.