Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Solo or buddy hunting

Old 10-08-2012, 04:59 PM
Fork Horn

I mostly hunt solo because I can never get any buddies to go with me! Everyone I know has too many damn kids. I like to go with someone because I feel obligated to stay out longer, I tend to want to pack it up early if I get too bored with no actions. And if you do get a deer there is someone to help you drag it out!
Old 10-09-2012, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Solo most of the time,but have been taking grand kids and I love it when they have a successful hunt.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:52 AM
Spike

I hate to go alone. Tis a long drive to hunting area. A buddy makes dragging easier and last but not least suppose something happened and you needed help? I have gone alone but it is not my first choice.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:54 AM
Fork Horn

Mostly solo, but I do lease some property an hour away that we usually hunt together, not in the same area but still drive together and hunt different stands. Mainly because of the terrain. very easy to loose you way and find it again after a 50ft drop off a cliff. not to mentionthe rattlers and copperheads and the hour drive to the hospital.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

The only buddy I hunt with is my wife. I had the same experience with all of the other guys I hunted with over the years, and for what it's worth, doubling on deer from the same spot is just impractical. Sure, I don't mind having a hunting buddy on another patch some distance away, but no, I don't want anyone in the blind with me (my wife excluded).

I do indeed enjoy getting to watch my wife hunt, so when we're together, she's hunting and I'm secondary. I get a lot more days afield by myself to hunt alone when I want to "hunt".

I HAVE hunted with other guys that I thought were really good hunters, quiet, patient, vigilant, etc... Then I have to ask myself, if the other guys I take are usually annoying to me, am I the one that's annoying to this guy? haha!!! That may not have been the case, but I'd sure feel bad if it was!
Old 10-12-2012, 04:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default The hunting choice gets easy. . .

if your buddy only likes to hunt fifty yards off a trail or road.

I lost one buddy, when he asked where we were. So I took out my compass and took a reading.

Son, he did not like compasses.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:43 AM
Fork Horn

I hunt both, nice to have a buddy or two along if you have a tough tracking job.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:24 AM
Typical Buck

Solo mostly but nothing is better than huntin with my good buddy!
Old 10-12-2012, 09:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

I do both, however when it comes to hunting unless trying to get an animal for someone via calling for them, etc I hunt solo the majority of time. I think its good when venturing out to go with someone to know where you are in the event something happens. However to sit with them seems counter productive. If its a new hunter or youth then that is totally different then of course you hang together.

Friendship and sharing can happen after and before the sun goes down...thats what the campfire, garage or drive are for.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:15 AM
Spike

I hunt both ways and either way if I have a buddy, I only sit with my Dad or best friend, and each of them know how to take care of the scent (We have the same process every morning) and all know our limitations so it makes it fun that we dont have to worry. I have had friends ask to hunt with me because of some of the larger deer on our property and I simply say sorry we have enough people hunting already. Because when you open it to one friend then they all think its ok. On a side note i hunt my best friends property to...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.