Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

tv hunting shows

Old 10-06-2012, 12:01 PM
Spike

Default tv hunting shows

Does anyone find themselves hitting the mute button due to all of the advertisements and/or catch phrases on a majority of the hunting shows? Some of the hosts are not able to complete a sentence w/o using specific brand name sponsors along with being accompanied by a
"supermodel". I admit they are nice to look at but they do not make the products perform any better! I wish the shows we more informative and educational as to state to state hunting info and statistics in a manner that the ordinary working man or woman could afford to try other areas without breaking the bank.Also if these companies were not sponsoring so many different shows maybe the sport we love would not be so expensive.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:15 PM
Fork Horn

hunting shows are useless to watch.thats not hunting, and its not sporting. and when at the end of every episode they kill a deer bigger then any ive seen in my life, it dosent really have any type of suprise, suspense, or excitment when they kill something. i stopped whatching hunting shows and started watching hunting on youtube. their are a few people i follow that really make it seem like your in the woods with them and i get excited everytime they make a new video plus its actualy hunting and not whatever you wanna call what their doing...
Old 10-06-2012, 04:33 PM
Typical Buck

I just like to comment/correct their mistakes! I watched one guy(maybe on bonecollector) arrow a huge deer in the hind quarters. He did recover it though, otherwise theywouldn't have aired it.
What tips me off as to them hunting "tame" deer is how they can have a deer in shooting range and still turn and start talking to the camera guy.
To each his own, just not my cup o' tea.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:05 PM
Fork Horn

If you ever watch the bloopers it can get funny. Thats when you realize they are just normal hunters on fake hunting ground. I've seen world class hunters miss deer at 20 yards... it really does happen to the best of us.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:37 PM
Typical Buck

I was watching midwest whitetail since it seemed most of those guys were just normal hunters, but I got tired of them always zooming in on the name of the bow/stand/harness etc. Plus they only film shooting huge bucks. I agree with some other posters. Go to youtube and you will find alot better hunting videos.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:44 PM
Typical Buck

I just watched one today where they were rifle hunting in montana. They drove over a hill in a pickup, a big shot from savage arms stepped out of the truck and used the open truck door as a rest and shot a whitetail buck a little over 200 yards. I changed the channel after seeing that. I mean come on, thats not even hunting.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:00 PM
Typical Buck

I agree. The sad part is that the industry is so dominated by money and big sponsorships that the guys and gals making the videos on YouTube that we like so much will never get the national exposure they deserve. To be fair though, I'm guessing many of the people on the hunting shows hunted differently before they were in the national spotlight. It's their way of making a living, so I don't really blame them for adapting to the situation.

I personally would rather watch a show where I can actually learn something about hunting techniques or deer behavior/biology and don't shoot a deer or shoot a small buck or a doe than a show where every other word out of their mouth is a sponsor and they kill a huge buck every time.

Unfortunately I just don't see that type of show making primetime TV slots, and if it did, it wouldn't take long for the sponsors to swoop in and either kill it because it would get way more viewers or take it over and turn it into one of the other sponsor-dominated shows.

I guess that's what YouTube is for, but even then you can't get through a video without seeing a popup or banner ad. I'm in my early 20s, so I'm constantly surrounded by technology, but sometimes I think there needs to be some separation between all the technology and the purity of the hunt.

Ok, I'm done rambling. It's 5 o'clock and time to go home and not watch hunting shows!
Old 10-08-2012, 03:11 PM
Fork Horn

the thing I don't like is they always go on guided hunts. Its like come on really and the show hunt masters who is the master the hunter or the guide. Its all about the money. there was a show at one time that was a public land diy deal but I think they took it off. owell I think I'm watching most of these shows.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:39 PM
Typical Buck

I still enjoy the public land shows like eastman's and "on your own adventure".