Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shoot a buck or doe?

Old 10-06-2012, 05:11 AM
Spike

Question Shoot a buck or doe?

Put yourself in this situation. You hunt on a piece of property that's close to 200 acres. You mostly have 1 1/2 year old bucks on your property (several getting shot by the neighbors) with a good many two year old's and a handful of 3 year old's and up, some being shooters and some not. You have around 8 or 9 does out of all of those 20 something bucks.

Generally we're waiting to kill a mature buck, but there needs to be meat in the freezer as well. If you want to kill some meat, do you shoot a 1 1/2 year old buck or a doe? Keep in mind that we've been passing up these bucks for the past 4 years and we're starting to see more mature and bigger bucks as a result of that. We want to continue to see that in the future. Shooting a doe will reduce our already small population by not only taking out the doe but taking out her future fawns as well.Would you be better off to take a young buck or a doe?

I'm interested to hear your input!
Old 10-06-2012, 06:13 AM
Super Moderator

If there are 20 bucks, there has to be more than 9 does.
You just don't see them.

Shoot a doe, they taste better.

JMHO
Old 10-06-2012, 06:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yap shoot the does,I bet there are a lot more there or there wouldn't be twenty bucks.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

That ratio is out of balance there should be more does than bucks .
I would shoot a doe and let the others grow to be shooters.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

depends...does bring in big bucks during rut from miles away. bucks will go about 20 miles out of their usual territory during rut to find some tang. if all ya have are lil bucks on yer property, save the does til after rut. gl
Old 10-06-2012, 08:56 AM
Typical Buck

SOMEONE LIED TO YOU!!! If you have a 2-1 buck-doe ratio on your property & it's ony 200 acres & NOT fenced then you sir have done something even the greatest mega-million $$$, HIGHLY maintained & manipulated herds in the country have NOT been able to do.

QUIT your day job right now & hit the speaking & promo circuit because you'll make a NICE living selling your mgmt secret!

Btw, does ALWAYS taste better than bucks!
HL
Old 10-06-2012, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

there is a study i cant find now said something like nature will balance itself.
and doe taste better aint always true..during the rut i will agree...but i can take a doe and buck hind quarter and smoke em and you wont be able to tell a difference, guaranteed!
Old 10-06-2012, 10:04 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
there is a study i cant find now said something like nature will balance itself.
and doe taste better aint always true..during the rut i will agree...but i can take a doe and buck hind quarter and smoke em and you wont be able to tell a difference, guaranteed!
Well, you can smoke s?"T and it tastes good! I'm not willing to try that, I prefer does or doe fawns, haven't tasted a buck yet that measures up to them.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:21 PM
Fork Horn

Go to local state land and kill a doe if you need meat... their are alot of does there and your deer herd wont be affected.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

doe a deer a female deer , ray a drop of golden....

sorry just like that song.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.