Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Lost one : need advice

Old 10-03-2012, 06:57 AM
Typical Buck

Not much I can tell ya except keep looking. I had one get away 2 years ago. Good shot with pass through and lots of blood. My problem was it was my first deer with a bow and I got overly excited and took up track too early and bumped her. Followed blood for another 100 yards or so, dried up and never saw her again.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by elmoughler
not much i can tell ya except keep looking. I had one get away 2 years ago. Good shot with pass through and lots of blood. My problem was it was my first deer with a bow and i got overly excited and took up track too early and bumped her. Followed blood for another 100 yards or so, dried up and never saw her again.
lol seen this before...usually they are 30 yards away. Always good to have a dog.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:39 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
lol seen this before...usually they are 30 yards away. Always good to have a dog.
After we lost blood the 3 of us that were looking walked circles up to about 100 yards from the last spot and never found her. She went onto another plot of land so they may have took her, will never know. After we kicked her up the first time we backed out for about 2 hours and I know there were people hunting in the other woods so who knows maybe they got some easy meat.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:00 AM
Typical Buck

dont think 4 hrs is much of a search,
if its warm, or dont want to lose it to predators, search through the night,
if couldnt search through the night, should pick up the search in the morning, and next day, and next day,
Old 10-03-2012, 09:00 AM
Typical Buck

I use "BURT COYOTEE LUMINOCS" and then I can see exactly where I hit the animal and find the arrow quickly after the shot. I lost a big buck from using the "string tracker" system, that was the end of that. The string got tangled on thebow somehow, never did figure it out but the arrow went out at an angle.

Now as far as a good hit, in forty years of Bow hunting, I thought I made good hits on some deer and never did find them and believe me I don't quit looking for days. There is NOTHING I hate more than loosing a deer, but it does happen. Just give it your best search and move on!

There are areas on the Whitetail, just below the spine and above the lungs, where an arrow can go through and not be fatal. I have read about this and also lost a deer that I believe, was hit there. It bled real good for 75 yds or so and then it quit. I searched for days and never found it. Its hunting man and you are bound to loose one if you hunt enough.

Don't get down, learn from it if possible!
Old 10-03-2012, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by GlouGlou
Fair enough ... I probably had that one coming.
Not my intention to bash you. I have lost my share too. It is going to happen to everyone. It leaves a horrible feeling in your gut. I know. So, I wasn't trying to kick a guy when he is down. Sorry.

The point I was trying to make is to work on you and your equipment to the extent where you are 100% confident in your ability. A well placed broadhead kills quickly. (IMO faster than a bullet.) The tracking string is not the solution. It is an unnecessary item that very well may have resulted in another lost animal.

Keep it to 20 yards and broadside for now. Should be a slam dunk.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
sorry, the site has filled its quota on wounded deer that got away, get back out there and find it. gl
That's hilarious!

In all seriousness, though, good luck finding your deer. Pretty much all the basics have been covered here. If she's gone, she's gone. Be 100% sure she is gone, though, before giving up on finding her. Unless a deer is dead in sight, give it some time. Need to pack up all your gear anyway. Take it on back to the truck, rest for a bit, and then go get it.