HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Bowhunting on Sunday? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/373354-bowhunting-sunday.html)

deerlogic 10-02-2012 05:54 PM

Bowhunting on Sunday?

I know this may stir some debate, but I am looking for the pros and cons to this debate.... What do you think about hunting on Sunday?

Dough Boy
www.Deerlogic.com

NebBuckHunter 10-02-2012 06:20 PM

Uh,....why wouldn't you? It's a day when there is probably the LEAST amount of things going on in the world...making it an easier day to get out.

As a non church-going agnostic.....a Sunday is well....just another day...

ManofTheFall 10-02-2012 09:54 PM

I don't hunt on Sunday's because I go to church in the morning and evening. But, if it's legal and that's what you want to do, go ahead.

Tundra10 10-02-2012 09:59 PM

PA Sunday hunting is stuck in the Blue Law period. We're working on entering the 21st Century however.

I support increased Sunday hunting.

kateraxl2381 10-02-2012 10:31 PM

For most people..Saturday and Sunday are the only days that their schedule that allows them to hunt. I believe you should be able to hunt any day of the week, I don't fully understand the states that don't allow it, but that's just me.

Wingbone 10-03-2012 01:30 AM

There is no legitimate "con".

elmoughler 10-03-2012 03:13 AM

I'll hunt anyday that I can.

Sniggle 10-03-2012 03:21 AM

You just need to position your stand to get the deer coming or going to church, that's all.

In WV we can not Sunday hunt on public land, but we can on private land.

medic242 10-03-2012 03:59 AM

I hunt close to my church, and no one cares if I show up in camo. I miss Sunday school and make it to worship service. SO it's a win, win.

Krypt Keeper 10-03-2012 12:47 PM

Just because you can hunt on sunday doesn't mean you "have" to hunt.

would like to be able to bow hunt on sunday, but that would piss off the dog runners I am sure.

jrbsr 10-03-2012 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Krypt Keeper (Post 3986372)
Just because you can hunt on sunday doesn't mean you "have" to hunt.

would like to be able to bow hunt on sunday, but that would piss off the dog runners I am sure.

That's funny :sign0004:
Krypt Keeper you crack me up. :D
You could go to an early service, and go after for a mid day hunt.
I used to go rabbit hunting on Sunday when I lived in Arkansas.
It was a blast.

OhioNovice 10-03-2012 04:17 PM

I hunt Sunday mornings but not the evenings. Most of my deer sightings are at dusk and Im afraid If I do shoot one and cant find it right away I wont be able to recover it because I have to work on Monday and if I do recover the deer It would be 2am before I got it dressed, drug out and dropped off at the processor.

VAhuntr 10-03-2012 05:16 PM

What cons would there be? You either hunt or you don't.

shawnfogelman 10-04-2012 02:47 AM

Personally we hunt Sundays here in Ohio. I'm obviously for it. My opinion is this... I work my butt off Monday-Friday to provide for my family and I. Secondly, I work nights and typically work
Anywhere from 10-14hrs a day 5-days a week. So come Saturday, I'm tore up from the floor up and really don't have the energy to do much. So Sunday comes around... I want to be able to hunt. If I can't have that one simple pleasure each year... Then why am I killing myself thru the week aside from providing for my wife and kids and to give my wife the chance at staying home to raise our kids. I work hard, I pay my bills and taxes... Let me have Sunday to relax a bit and do what I love during hunting season. Just my take.

Valentine 10-04-2012 03:56 AM

You go by the state

They are usually long held traditions, used in the state's control of deer.

Every state allows so many hunting days. Some on Sunday; some not on Sunday. The days can change, but not the total days that state allows. And Sundays mean more hunters on that day, changing the weight of how many days are hunted.

It's about all hunters; not individual hunters.

Ohboy 10-04-2012 04:14 AM

If it was allowed in your state, then its your option, nobody is making you go on sunday! I would hunt sundays in a heartbeat if it was allowed here in VA. I work at a Ford dealership M-F 7-5, so yes, i am a weekend warrior and i know it. I also have a 8yr old son that plays on a travel baseball team so that has me tied up also. and i have a 11mo old son at home also, so i have a family to care for aswell. So any additional days would be great. I do occasionaly get out for afternoon hunts and i do hunt with a club and we run dogs on tuesdays and saturdays so i defenitly hunt with them on tuesdays, since its only a few anyway. good luck to all this season

Mojotex 10-04-2012 05:25 AM

My "job" requires me to work on some Sundays. Most Sundays I go to church but some I hunt.

Palehorse 10-04-2012 10:34 AM

Pros: Fewer hunters afield, generally less stuff going on in general (manmade noises are fewer)
Cons: None.

jrfrmn 10-04-2012 11:37 AM

Deer going to church

[quote=Sniggle;3986130]You just need to position your stand to get the deer coming or going to church, that's all.

That is a good plan! My deer don't go to church. All they want to do is hang out in the woods partying like a bunch of groupies.

Sorry. Couldn't resist that one.

GRIZZLYMAN 10-04-2012 12:52 PM

Considering that my leases are five hours away, and I have to take several days at a time per trip to keep my expenses down, hunting Sundays is a given. Glad I don't live or hunt in a state where they don't allow Sunday hunting.

NJ Camo Man 10-04-2012 04:39 PM

I hunt every Sunday I can. Sometimes work M-Sat.

MZS 10-04-2012 05:28 PM

As a guy that goes to church every Sunday morning, I honestly can not see how these blue laws exist. From a Christian theological standpoint, the "Sabbath" was fullfilled with the coming of Christ - that is our rest, and it is to be every day, not just one day a week. And for those that believe in a strict Sabbath, it would go from sundown Friday to sundown Saturday. I think screaming and yelling at the football game from one's couch would be a lot more "unsabbath-like" than sitting peacefully in the woods!

Nomercy448 10-05-2012 11:00 AM

Hunting on Sunday is a sure-fire way to get a one way ticket straight to he11!!!!

No wait...

Personally, I hunt whenever I can. Pretty common occurrence that our pews get pretty empty during deer season, or the first weekend of upland season. Much rather sit out in His creation and watch God wake up the world firsthand than sit in the pew and just hear someone talk about it.

early in 10-05-2012 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by VAhuntr (Post 3986487)
What cons would there be? You either hunt or you don't.

This says it all in a nut shell. Pa has their thumbs up their butts! There is really NO REASON not to have Sunday hunting! Unless I'm seeing it wrong, it would surely help the local economy.

WAKE UP PENNSYLVANIA!

jerseyhunter 10-06-2012 04:01 AM

we just acquired Sunday hunting a couple years ago, WMA's and Privateland only , No State or Nat'l land. So I work when I can and Hunt when I can. It's nice to have the choice.