Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Trespassers

Old 10-02-2012, 06:04 AM
Spike

I'm not proud of this, but I'll share it. My property I hunt is down in the Missouri River bottoms here in MO. I discovered ATV trails that weren't our own. They went all trough our fields that are bean fields. I also found a rope swing and camp fire area where they were partying. So I cut the tree down that had the rope swing and picked the trash up in the party camp fire area. Then I trailed the track to where they come into on the property. Found a little opening trail that they were using. I dug up a strip along that trail about 8 feet wide and just deep enough to bury a 2x4. In that 2x4 I drove nails through it and painted them brown. Buried the board and made a little road spike. Haven't had to much trouble with trespasser since. yeah it's a little overboard. But I don't own the property I hunt, it's my works. And county sheriffs department hasn't done crap. So I took over.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:35 AM
Fork Horn

Land Mines
Old 10-03-2012, 05:27 PM
Spike

Thanks guys for the info. I do have signs out eveywhere. also I tried to get trail cam pic. of them but they found my cam. and took it. and the one they couldnt steal they burned it at the tree. and I couldnt recover the card.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:32 PM
Spike

im hardcore..got 800 acres in nebraska..and all i gotta say is how we would do it is catch them red handed...me personally and all the folk i hunt with/hangout in woods...would love to spend a weekend or some nights in the woods just to catch em!!! set up off the trail where you see them most the time,have a spotlight,maybe tent 50-60 yards off road and when hear them just step out on road with spotlight and have your 4wheeler or source of transportation ready to take care of business....'PEOPLE LIKE THAT NEED TIED TO A TREE AND LEFT WITH THE CRITTERS..EYE FOR AN EYE,2 FOR A 2"!!! thats what I would do tho...redkneck round here...buttt love or rights!! god bless you and hope yah solve the problem my good buddy!!! aim small miss small!!
Old 10-03-2012, 05:46 PM
Spike

if they stole your camera and burned a tree to get rid of the other. There will be no talking to them. Either bury the 2x4 full of nails or land mines! I personally like land mines!
Old 10-03-2012, 07:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't feel good about the booby traps. Someone steps on one and I see a lawsuit - regardless of whose prop it is on.

I don't feel good about them helping themselves to others prop either!

Darn tough spot if you're not regularly on the prop.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

The problem with the traps is that it will bring retaliation. It is a tough spot. Like others have said, you won't be able to talk to them and reason with them. It'd be nice if you could get something done legally, but that won't happen. It's a shame that people don't have more respect.
-Jake
Old 10-05-2012, 03:30 AM
Fork Horn

Whitetail72,
I also own land and I know how frustrating it can be to have someone abusing it. It would be ideal to find out who it is and then have the police deal with the issue. But, most times a person just has to wait till the perpetrator either matures, moves away, learns to respect others rights or loses interest. As there are laws against setting "booby traps," I would not place spike strips or any other object that may cause someone to get hurt.

I can see it now: a person is joy riding on your land (without your permission) hits a spike strip and crashes. They are injured in the process and are now suing the deep pocket (that would be you the land owner). Land owner (that would be you) loses land to pay for legal bills. This is wrong, but this is the world we live in.
drox
Old 10-05-2012, 04:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Me,since I have the time,I would spend the night and try and catch them.A rope across the trail,when it knocks them on there butts have a heart to heart talk.Maybe a spike in a tire.Let them spend the night pushing there ATV out of the woods.Might get there attention.I would be in full black camo,scare the hell out of them.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:00 AM
Typical Buck

Put a sign up where they are getting onto the property about trespassing and hide a trail cam.

As far as the nail spikes. Mostly likely it would cause a problem and end up in court. The real problem is the a-holes could never drive on it, step on it, or ever know about it if they would stop breaking the law.