Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

My 150 class from last year!!

Old 10-02-2012, 02:51 PM
Spike

There is a difference in Net & Gross....Most people just use "gross" score. Honestly that is all I care about is total inches of horn!
Old 10-02-2012, 04:15 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with you. It was interesting to hear these guys talk about how they were disappointed when they looked at their trophies, and knee they grossed 160, but were scored 130. I for one count gross as the real score.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Gr8 Deer! Congrats!!!

Any pictures of the mount to put the icing on the cake?
Old 10-02-2012, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is a pretty buck! I love that split G2.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:38 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks everyone!!! Yeah it is an awesome trophy for sure!! It was was one of the best days I have ever had in the woods. For those asking about the score.. Well there is a controversy about it from to Diff B&C Scorers. One score is 151 6/8 and the other is 158 7/8. This controverys is regarding the split G2 One said that split is an odd point and the other said you can see the tine staring at the beam.. so the extra inches comes from the mass measurment between the 2. its 8 7/8in in circumference. These were green scored 4 days after is was shot. I just never went and got a final judgment because I didnt care tha much about it. The deer was 18in inside, had just over 24in main beams, 5 5/8 brows, 30in of mass, 43 7/8 of tine length minus brows. These are just some rough numbers, but you get the idea.

Thanks again for the compliments!! I am one proud hunter... I will post the unbelievable story about this buck and the day I killed it as well.. it is a long read though..but worth it
Old 10-02-2012, 07:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default Here is a picture of the mount

Here are a few pics of him on the wall
Attached Thumbnails My 150 class from last year!!-blades-home-1-.jpg   My 150 class from last year!!-blades-home-2-.jpg   My 150 class from last year!!-blades-home-3-.jpg  
Old 10-02-2012, 07:59 PM
Fork Horn

So here is the story on this buck:

I first got pics of this buck 3 years ago and after talking with our neighboring club they had his pics 4 years ago. After seeing his pics I decided to name him "Blades" because of his long main beams that curved in. We believe that it 2008 he was a very nice 3.5 year old. Now from what I understand nobody ever saw this buck. Most of the pics were at night too. Well all that changed in 2009. A friend of mine shot this buck on december 17th. The searched all over for the buck and even called a dog to find it. They never found it and we were hoping that he made it.

Fast forward to 2010 I never got him on cam but, my buddy finaly got some in oct on his property on the neighboring property. Well as it turns out nobody saw him that year at all. He was like a ghost and became kind of a legend in the area we hunt.

Now on to 2011. In september I decided to put a cam in an area that the buck had been know to visit. After a month of the cam being there he never showed. Then after a while I decided to try again in mid october. I left the cam 2 weeks and when I pulled the card... There he was.. and boy was he looking good. He put on mass and looked healthy as ever.. I was pumed, but all the pics were at night as usuall. I figuired the only way that this buck would be killed is during the rut chasing a doe.

Now I had been hunting hard all over my property since the beginning of bow season. I had not seen much rut activity and wondered if the big buck would ever be seen this year. Well on Nov 5th is when everything changed for me. I had hunted every day for 5 or 6 days straight. That saturday morning Nov 5th I woke up and I was very tired and just didnt feel like going. So I hit the snooze button I ended up hitting it several times..lol.. At 7:55 I finaly got my butt out of bed and said to myself why dont I just go take a walk behind the camp and see what I see and make my way to a ladder stand I had up.

By 8:15 I was about 300 yards into the woods when I heard come crashing through the woods and grunting. I listened for a min and heard them going down the hill. So I ran down to a spot that had a small clearing in hopes they would go through it and maybe see whats chasing. About 3 mins later I heard a chase to my left and got ready. Sure enough here comes the doe... well I wait like 5 mins and no buck.. a few more mins and no buck, but I hear grunting. I hit my grunt call and I hear a deer start trotting toward me.. I got ready and could hear him coming and grunting the whole way. he appeared about 15 yards infront of me and it was a nice 8 pointer. He never knew I was there and I let him walk off looking around for the that grunt he was looking for...

After about 15 mins I decided to continue making my way to my my ladder stand. I thought well if they are chasing a little I might get to see some more deer. As I made my way to the stand I got about 60 yards from it when all of a sudden I hear very loud crashing, chasing, and grunting like crazy. I take about 5 steps to a spot that enabled me to see in 2 different directions about 40 to 50 yards. I can hear them getting closer and closer.. It sounded like a mack truck coming thorugh the woods. All of a sudden here comes the doe and she is hauling butt! I get ready and then the doe stops and does a u turn and runs straight to me and stops like 15 feet from me.. She is panting and foaming at the mouth.. I just froze and did not move. I then hear the other deer coming and grunting loudly and its hauling butt too. I see the deer and its a BIG 8. He never gave me a shot or slowed down "thank god". and he kept on going and never saw the doe right by me. Then here comes another deer and its another doe and she is running as fast as she could. I was like ok what the heck.. Then all of a sudden I heard what sounded like a buck roar followed by lots of short grunts. I get ready again and he comes running in and I notice its a HUGE buck. The one doe is still standing 15 feet from me panting and she flicked her tail and the big buck noticed it and he came to a dead stop 30 yards away broadside. I already had my gun up. When I looked through the scope I saw a huge rack and thought is this "Blades"? I wasnt sure, but the rack was big enough I did not need to second guess I was gonna shoot. I slowly pulled the trigger and boom the buck ran 10 yards then stopped and turned around and then ran back up a hill like he was never hurt.. I was like oh my god.... did I miss?? no please no. Then out of nowhere I heard loud crashing, grunting and chasing coming right at me from my right.. Then it happened.. something that I never thought
would never happen, happened..A doe busted through the bushes and ran right into me knocking my gun out of my hand.. I stumbled and just thought did that realy just happen!!!! and then out of nowhere here comes another buck that was chasing her. The doe kinda stopped for a second then took off and he ran right past me within 2 feet grunting his head off!!!!!!!!

Now I know this sounds unbelieveable, but this is all true.!! Well after a few minutes a just stood there in disbelief... I got my gun and said well I need to go see if I hit the deer or not. As I walked over to area where I shot him I did not find anything. Then I looked up the hill where he ran and I saw blood on a small sappling that he must have bumped into.. It was a big weight off my shoulders to see blood. I walked to the sappling and started finding blood. A few drops her and there and then nothing. I started to get worried, but then found some more blood. Then it got to be more and more. After about 70 yards I walked up on him and said out loud, oh my god, its Blades. He was huge he looked even bigger on the ground than he did in his trail cam pics. I just sat and stared at him thinking I can not beleive this. When I got my composure I kneeled down and picked his head up and looked at his impressive rack. I was in shock........ I looked to see where I hit him and I made a perfect double lung shot!!! I then sent a few texts to friends and decided it was time to get him out of the woods

After a few mins I started dragging him back down the hill to where I shot him. I then headed to camp to get some help and my 4 wheeler to get him out of the woods. Im sorry for this long story, but this was a day I will never forget.

Drew
Old 10-07-2012, 02:27 PM
Fork Horn

Do you guys think I should get the official scoring done?
Old 10-07-2012, 03:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

What a great looking buck! Congrats to you. It's nice to know the score, but whatever it is, that's a great buck. That story is something else too. They do go NUTS during the rut!
Old 10-07-2012, 06:00 PM
Fork Horn

That mount looks very nice. Looks much bigger on your wall. From what I have heard, and the recent potential WI buck with a point very similar to that one, B&C will most likely call that a nontypical point, and subtract both the circumference and length of abnormal tine if I'm not mistaken. I only count gross scores anyways, so it doesn't really matter how they score it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.