Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Compound or CrossBow?

Old 09-29-2012, 11:41 AM
Spike

Default Compound or CrossBow?

what do you guys prefer hunting with? a compound bow or a crossbow?
Old 09-29-2012, 11:48 AM
Fork Horn

Compound bow..takes skill and practice so success is all that much sweeter.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:21 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Sniggle
Compound bow..takes skill and practice so success is all that much sweeter.
i wouldnt say it takes much more skill. I hunt with compounds and traditional recurves, and have shot my friends crossbow once. I can assure you shooting off hand with a crossbow is equal to shooting a compound. people say crossbows are faster, not really. Matthews, Bear, PSE, and Hoyt all have bows just as fast, if not faster than most crossbows. One advantage to the crossbows is you can use a rest.

I prefer using a compound bow. There smaller and easier to get around with. Most weight about 4lbs and are around 32" axle to axle. I also think they can be more fun to shoot. But target practice long range with crossbows is fun.

go with what ever interests you more. don't listen to the crossbow haters, there full of it.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:30 PM
Typical Buck

I prefer a bow. They are just more sleek and easier to carry and transport IMO.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:25 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

Never hunted with a crossbow, but I would think it would afford opportunity to hunt out of a much tighter space or blind. Not legal here except for disabled or elderly. Someday I will probably use one.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:32 PM
Fork Horn

This is my first year with a crossbow, after 25 years with a compound. The advantage I see is not having to draw on a deer. The downside is the thing is more difficult/awkward to carry through the woods. Also, I have gotten second chances on a deer after a miss with a compound. That won't happen with my crossbow. My crossbow is extremely accurate, but so is my compound, so that point's moot.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by huntingkidPA
I can assure you shooting off hand with a crossbow is equal to shooting a compound.

go with what ever interests you more. don't listen to the crossbow haters, there full of it.
This right here. I hunt with both. I practice with both. Shooting off a rest with the crossbow is very simply. I can stack bolts in the center at sixty yards off a rest. But shooting in a hunting situation,off hand is different. I am much more consistent with my compound than with my crossbow off hand. It is difficult to rest the crossbow in most hunting situations. So if you choose that don't think it's something you can stick in the closet and never practice with.
-Jake
Old 09-29-2012, 05:29 PM
Spike

Compound bow for me. I agree with Sniggle, more skill and practice to be successful. Usually need to be closer and you have to draw a compound bow. Don't have to with a crossbow. Not knocking people that use them just not for me.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Whichever gets a fellow in the woods to have a good time ..
Shooting a bow use to take a lot of skill then they put training wheels on them, guys went to using releases, carbon arrows, stabilizers, drop away rests, sights, etc....

A real bow hunter wouldn't have all that krap....
Old 09-29-2012, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Recurve.

When I can no longer do that, I'll go to the crossbow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.