Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Primo's Buck Roar Call?

Old 09-27-2012, 04:54 PM
Spike

Default Primo's Buck Roar Call?

Has anyone used or had success with this call? They say it's an extremely aggressive call and will only work on the most mature/dominant bucks. I recently purchases the magnum roar to be able to get a little more distance with the call.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:41 PM
Fork Horn

I own the Buck Roar and IMO it is a good call. You can be aggressive with it or you can adjust it and be just like any other grunt call.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:49 PM
Fork Horn

I own one and like it... the deer where i hunt in alabama dont seem to respond much to calling anyways but its nice to have in the bag just in case... I do also hunt in Miss. and called i two bucks with it last year. Neither of these were mature deer, both year and a half year olds... I dont think that the age of deer decides whether or not he will be aggresive or not. Deer are just like people, they all have their own personalities.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:52 AM
Fork Horn

I have never been a huge fan of calling. Probably because of the limited success I had and limited meaning none. I own the buck roar call and it is the only call I have ever had any success with at all. I've actually called in several small bucks and 1 really big one a few years back. Imo it is a good call.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:30 AM
Spike

I've been doing some research on it. Out of all the calls on the market today it seems to be the most popular. I watched the instructional DVD, and picked up a lot of info from that. It seems to be that call that you have to hit the rut just right, when a bucks testosterone is overflowing. I won't take it to the woods with me until the very end of October though. Also the reason I think it brings in so many small bucks is like Deepsouthdeerjunky said. Each deer has it's own personality. When the big guys start to go at it, the little guys are gonna wanna watch. Just like the little kids on the playground in grade school. They always wanna see a fight between the older kids, just never wanna get into one. Thanks for the responses though guys. Good luck out there.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:14 PM
Spike

It has worked for me in the past, but not everytime, as for Primo's calls in general, the updated version of the ' 5 in 1 call '; Lil' Shawty, is a very good call for bow hunting. I also strap the uproar to my wrist. I no longer use the buck roar because the uproar is the same call.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

In 50+ years of hunting deer in La., Ark., Miss., Al., and Tx. ... I have never once heard a "buck roar".

I have tried grunt calls, doe bleats, etc. with what I'd describe as minimal succss. The few bucks that did respond were nicer ones. But frankly, I have had dozens and dozens of bucks from spikes to very nice racked ones not pay one iota of attention the my efforts.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:49 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Mojotex
In 50+ years of hunting deer in La., Ark., Miss., Al., and Tx. ... I have never once heard a "buck roar".

I have tried grunt calls, doe bleats, etc. with what I'd describe as minimal succss. The few bucks that did respond were nicer ones. But frankly, I have had dozens and dozens of bucks from spikes to very nice racked ones not pay one iota of attention the my efforts.

Same thing here.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:52 PM
Spike

I got one. The first year I took it to the stand, about a half hour into it I heard a shot down the trail and my uncle took a nice 8 pointer that he said was headed my way. in the off season I've been able to call 2 bucks in, both that could clearly see me. I was tinkering with it today and found out it has an adjustable O-ring on the reed that the manual didn't mention. So you can use it as anything from the mature agressive roar, to young buck, regular grunt pitch, and an estrus bleat. They all sound really good, and I'm going without my uncle this year so hopefully a buck'll make it down the trail!