HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Scent Awareness (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/373122-scent-awareness.html)

deerlogic 09-27-2012 04:36 PM

Scent Awareness

I know some people do not take this as serious as I do, but how do you keep your vehicle scent free before/during the hunting season?

Dough Boy
www.DeerLogic.com

OFDOlson_173 09-27-2012 04:46 PM

Im very anal about scent and your vehicle is probably the toughest to keep scent free with people riding in your car and what not. So what I do is I have a set of seat covers that I put on before I go hunting and remove them when I am done. I wash my seat covers in Scent free soap. That is about all you can do, also remove all of your scent things you hang up prior to hunting season. Mine that I use are usually natural smells but I remove them anyway. Also change into your hunting cloths away from your vehicle when you get to the spot your hunting. Hope this helps ya out

snapper1982 09-27-2012 04:50 PM

you cant keep an everyday driver scent free. i take my shower and dress. drive to my area and strip to my underwear and use wipes on my hands then put on clean under cloths if it is cold if not i just put on my scentlok.

Night Crawler 09-27-2012 06:01 PM

No deer is worth standing nekid at 5 am on a dirt road.

FlDeerman 09-27-2012 06:59 PM

I have to agree with Night Crawler on that one.When I get where I'm going I just spray myself down with Scent away and since I hunt in a leafy suit I spray it before I put it on.Other than that I play the wind.I use good ol'Walmart doe pee as the only coverup and that I spray on the ground or the tree.Haven't had much trouble in the past thirty years.

deerlogic 09-29-2012 03:59 PM

I started hanging a scent wafer in my truck about a week out.... Then I will sometimes cut a couple branches off a pine tree and leave that in my truck for a few days - boy I sound bad don't I???

OhioNovice 09-29-2012 05:52 PM

I dont mess with my truck. I wear a scent-lok suit (which I put on at home) and spray down with field spray after I get out.

Wasnt sure if it was working but tonight I had a buck walk downwind from me and not even give me a sniff.

Mojotex 09-30-2012 07:40 AM

A few years back I tried to remove all scent from my truck. I sprayed the whole truck, inside and out with Oxy Clean and then rinsed with baking soda water using a 2400 psi pressure washer (which had also been rendered scent free). I let the interior dry naturally. (For some reason I never have been able to get the CD player to work again?). I did put a pile of crushed pine needles and a hand full of rancid acorns in the seats while the seats were drying out just to give them that woodsy aroma.

Once the interior dried, I sprayed it down with Dead Down Wind. Took about a gallon.

I bought some 5X Scent-Lok shirts on sale at a local hunting store from which my un-perfumed wife constructed seat covers using her odorless sewing machine. Unfortunately just before I left for the camp, my blood trail tracking dog jumped into the passenger seat and farted ... so all that work and expense went for naught.

I haven't attempted this since.