HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   New tree stand advice how long to wait? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/373086-new-tree-stand-advice-how-long-wait.html)

joker80p 09-27-2012 06:42 AM

New tree stand advice how long to wait?

So I got a place to hunt not far from my house. Did a little scouting and wanted to get set up for the bow season opening October 1st. I thought I had a stand to use but as it turns out I don't. If I go and buy a brand new stand how long should I wait to put it out there?

Terasec 09-27-2012 06:52 AM

i would buy it as soon as possible,
leave it outside your house a couple days, to wash off whatever chemical coatings it may have,
and put it up as soon as possible,
maybe even spray it down with some scent block stuff,
sooner you put it up, more comfortable they will be as they pass it

wisbowhunter2009 09-27-2012 11:31 AM

spray it off with a hose, i put it in a bunch of pine branches to give it a smell of woods. let it sit for a day or two and then put it out.

halfbakedi420 09-27-2012 11:50 AM

say ya have a stew..we smell stew...mmmmm..
when an animal smells stew, they smell potatoes, carrots, onions er whatever is in the stew...
so hosing down yer stand and covering it in pine needles wont help. the deer smells pine needles, the oil from the tools used to cut holes and bend yer stand into a stand, and of course yoy, because you touched it.
the best thing ya can do is hang that sucker, leave a pair of yer nastiest drawers and a very used work shirt in the stand and let the deer sneak up on that for a couple weeks. they will get used to it and when they smell you, they wont think anything of it....BOOM SHAKA LOCKA.. gl

Kid 09-27-2012 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420 (Post 3983546)
say ya have a stew..we smell stew...mmmmm..
when an animal smells stew, they smell potatoes, carrots, onions er whatever is in the stew..

LOL! I heard it put this way one time. When you smell a Big Mac, you smell a Big Mac when a Deer smells a Big Mac it smells 2 all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun. :)

halfbakedi420 09-27-2012 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Kid (Post 3983616)
LOL! I heard it put this way one time. When you smell a Big Mac, you smell a Big Mac when a Deer smells a Big Mac it smells 2 all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun. :)

lmao thats funny
:barmy:

joker80p 09-27-2012 02:32 PM

Sooo I should rub a Big Mac on my stand or put carrots and onions in my pocket?

Kid 09-28-2012 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by joker80p (Post 3983642)
Sooo I should rub a Big Mac on my stand or put carrots and onions in my pocket?

Yes and yes! But the deer are still gonna smell your stand. The point is, cover scents are not going to fool a Deer's nose. A nose good enough to tell one Deer's urine from another is not going to be fooled by rubbing something on an otherwise offensive smelling tree stand in an attempt to "cover" it up. If the stand smells that bad, put it outside for awhile before you put it up.

joker80p 09-28-2012 10:53 AM

Yea I get what u guys are saying. I got it yes day morning brought it right home set it up in a tree in my back yard. It got rained on all night. Monday is opening day. I'd like to put up Sunday. I realize they will have to get used to it.

BRUSE 09-28-2012 11:37 AM

sounds good,,most important thing is being out there cant get him at home.