Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Method: You've a long hike, it's cold and you WILL sweat profusely >

Method: You've a long hike, it's cold and you WILL sweat profusely

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Method: You've a long hike, it's cold and you WILL sweat profusely

Old 10-23-2012, 08:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

polyester style shirt... ultra wicking/quick drying

it's one thing to start out with warm layers but you need to watch yourself, once you warm up, disrobe...

or just start out cool/cold once you get moving you'll warm up.

also I untuck my shirts, which really helps I think vs. trapping that back heat/sweat in.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:47 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

skin tight thin wicking tshirt. I wear an unbuttoned BDU shirt over it. My field jacket and my polypro are packed with my treestand. I try to take it easy so I don't work up a sweat if I start to get warm I pull the outers shirt up to expose some skin. When I get up into my stand I take the bdu shrt off and hang it from the tree for a while to let it dry....I wait till I need to put another layer on before doing so. That way I hav usually dried . I let my body start cooling down and put the bdu top on then ten-20 minutes later I put on the polypro....Then eventually my field jacket....working up to zipping it up. That has worked much better than anything else for me. I have made the mistake of working up a sweat and then getting cold....then you are screwed. You won't be able to get warm and you won't be able to dry.

Last edited by dpv; 10-23-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

One thing to do to cut down on the sweating is ,not drink beer a day or two be fore the hunt. And heavier people like myself sweat more than if your in better shape.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

No different.. In extreme heat.. I wear a long sleeve shirt..
Sweat keeps me cool, and protects my shin from burning, anything else is gonna evaporate that moisture and next thing you now your dehydrated and burnt..
I get teased all the time about time..
But I dress opposite than what most do..
Old 10-25-2012, 06:43 AM
Fork Horn

The lightest skin tight wicking material is the only top layer I wear in and I pack the hat. The rest of my mid layer and outer layers are packed and then lashed to the back of my climber. When I get to the area I'm hunting I climb up, screw in a few tree steps and hang the bag containing my mid/outer gear. I'll sit until the wicking material is dry, usually no more than 30 minutes. When I start getting a chill, I put on a mid layer and then let my body tell me what I need to add/remove for the remainder of the hunt.

Last edited by *twodogs*; 10-25-2012 at 06:46 AM.