Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Does and Fawns South Alabama switching habbitats? >

Does and Fawns South Alabama switching habbitats?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Does and Fawns South Alabama switching habbitats?

Old 09-25-2012, 05:08 PM
Fork Horn

Default Does and Fawns South Alabama switching habbitats?

Here is my question, anyone from the South here can help me out on this, as most of you know I live in the south most part of the State of Alabama, Our rut here is generally not until the 2nd or 3rd week of January, In North West Florida which borders my property I heard of the rut starting as late as mid February, My Question Is when should the fawns be dropping?! I have had my trail cams out over corn here for the past week and have had about 8 different does visiting the site on a daily/nightly basis, only one doe has a fawn, this seems very ODD to me because last season on my trail Cams I had 8 different big shooter bucks and only 1 doe that would regularly visit, this year I was expecting to see the bucks back but unfortunately I haven't seen one of them. It seems as if the bucks and does switched for the year! Hard for me to Believe but thats what it looks like. Could this be? Also if the does were rutting late January how old should the fawns be? and with all those bucks from last year, I figured fawns would be running around all over the place. Someone please fill me in, Im very frustrated.

Last edited by dpj1030; 09-25-2012 at 05:18 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm just east of you, near DeFuniak Springs. Last Saturday I saw my first spotted fawn of this year. They will continue to be commonly seen till mid Nov, and I have seen small spotted fawns into Dec. Gestation is about 205 days for a whitetail.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm in DeFuniak too and we still have pregnant does.I think the warm winter last year really screwed up the rut.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

In the Union Springs area of Alabama, near Midway, where I hunted from the late 1970's until the early 2000's the does came into heat in mid to late January - and some years after the season ended on Jan. 31. It was common to see spotted fawns well into November. On that land, I had seen strong buck territorial markings (fresh rubs and active scrapes) down into spring turkey season. One year I watched two bruiser 8 pointers duking it out for about a hour .... mid March.

Where I have hunted these past 10+ years (about 1/2 way between Columbus, Ga. and Eufaula, Al.) there is a large percentage of does around that property that come into estrus around late November-early December. I have been told that this is a result the deer that were stocked into that area back in the 1930's.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:56 PM
Typical Buck

dpj, I live in Gulf Breeze...if you ever want to shoot sometime, we have an archery range over here...

to answer your question, I have trail cameras out and have already seen spotted fawns born in late August and one just born last week at our camp just north of Munson.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:49 PM
Fork Horn

I am from Geneva, AL and we have always had a late rut. The last few years, it seems it has been heating up as the season goes out. I don't have any fawn info though.