HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Take a doe already? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/372933-take-doe-already.html)

BrandonByrge 09-23-2012 11:10 AM

Take a doe already?

Where I'm hunting there are a few bucks. But not in my area. I have a herd of does that come thru every evening. Should I go ahead and fling a arrow? Or should I hold off till the rut and let me draw a big buck in?

FlDeerman 09-23-2012 11:30 AM

I would rather eat doe meat than bucks,but I've had my time antler hunting and now I'm more for filling the freezer.

arrow2512 09-23-2012 02:00 PM

BRANDON-When am out hunting and i know i want to take a doe i wait till a lone doe comes in that way i do not spok any of the other doe's that are running together.

OhioNovice 09-23-2012 04:31 PM

Im gonna pop a doe the first chance I get, just to get some meat in the freezer, then Ill be a little more picky with my buck. Two deer is plenty of meat for my wife and me.

Arkansasmountainman 09-23-2012 04:41 PM

Take the does early! Reason: If you have an abundance of does during the rut, bucks will go into lock down sooner because of their availability. A fewer number of does, means the bucks will be out on thier feet in search of a hot doe. It make sense to me!

BrandonByrge 09-23-2012 05:12 PM

Thanks everyone

Bocajnala 09-23-2012 05:21 PM

I'd shoot the doe. If you have multiple doe in the area, then a buck will be through eventually. I enjoy taking doe almost as much as taking buck!
-Jake

PREDATE 09-23-2012 10:30 PM

How can you be sure that there are "no" bucks? I would say if you have 2 tags then go ahead and whack a doe early, then stay out of there until the "pre-rut". Although, I have a feelin' that if deer are traversing your spot, then a % of them IS a buck or 2! They might be moving mostly @ night, especially if the weather is hot/dry.

elmoughler 09-24-2012 08:01 AM

I will take a doe early in the season with no worries. This is the first year to bowhunt so now I have 3 months instead of 4 weeks to harvest a deer. I am a meat hunter before hunting for the antlers. But to answer your question taking one doe out of the herd should not hurt your chances of the others bringing a buck by your stand.

Kid 09-24-2012 02:09 PM

If it is me, I am flinging arrows.;)

On_Point 09-25-2012 03:17 PM

Here in Illinois we are allowed unlimited doe tags & two 'either sex' tags. I hunt/kill far more does per year than bucks. And with my two 'either sex' tags, I take one cull buck w/ lacking genetic properties just to get his gene pool off our property & then hunt the rut for a wall hanger with the other tag. Outside the rut, rarely will I ever let a doe walk.

I've noticed over the years that those hunters who continually allow deer to walk because theyre waiting for a shooter buck end up eating tag soup for the season more often than not.

Oneofthesedays 09-28-2012 10:33 AM

Depends upon how many tags you have. If you only have one and you would rather hunt than eat venison, wait for a buck. :)
If you have two tags, what are you waiting for to take a doe?

PAThwacker 09-28-2012 12:56 PM

I hit a doe this morning on my way to work. Sure hope i dont see it again in the morning.

s. il. hntr 09-28-2012 02:37 PM

PA now thats what you call fast food. Hope yer jeep is ok

kateraxl2381 09-28-2012 02:57 PM

Pile up the does until around the 20th of October then wait on Mr. Big.

Mojotex 09-29-2012 09:00 AM

Take the does. Nothing better than the meat off a 90-100 pound doe !

The group I hunt with has taken 65-90 does/season ... off about 3100 acres for the past 11 seasons. Has had no noticeable effect on numbers of the bucks we see cruising the property other than raising average body weight of those we kill. Early on a buck heavier than 165# was rare. Now we kill several in the low 200's and most are 175+.