Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Take a doe already?

Old 09-23-2012, 11:10 AM
Spike

Default Take a doe already?

Where I'm hunting there are a few bucks. But not in my area. I have a herd of does that come thru every evening. Should I go ahead and fling a arrow? Or should I hold off till the rut and let me draw a big buck in?
Old 09-23-2012, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would rather eat doe meat than bucks,but I've had my time antler hunting and now I'm more for filling the freezer.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:00 PM
Typical Buck

BRANDON-When am out hunting and i know i want to take a doe i wait till a lone doe comes in that way i do not spok any of the other doe's that are running together.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:31 PM
Fork Horn

Im gonna pop a doe the first chance I get, just to get some meat in the freezer, then Ill be a little more picky with my buck. Two deer is plenty of meat for my wife and me.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:41 PM
Fork Horn

Take the does early! Reason: If you have an abundance of does during the rut, bucks will go into lock down sooner because of their availability. A fewer number of does, means the bucks will be out on thier feet in search of a hot doe. It make sense to me!
Old 09-23-2012, 05:12 PM
Spike

Thanks everyone
Old 09-23-2012, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator

I'd shoot the doe. If you have multiple doe in the area, then a buck will be through eventually. I enjoy taking doe almost as much as taking buck!
-Jake
Old 09-23-2012, 10:30 PM
Typical Buck

How can you be sure that there are "no" bucks? I would say if you have 2 tags then go ahead and whack a doe early, then stay out of there until the "pre-rut". Although, I have a feelin' that if deer are traversing your spot, then a % of them IS a buck or 2! They might be moving mostly @ night, especially if the weather is hot/dry.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:01 AM
Typical Buck

I will take a doe early in the season with no worries. This is the first year to bowhunt so now I have 3 months instead of 4 weeks to harvest a deer. I am a meat hunter before hunting for the antlers. But to answer your question taking one doe out of the herd should not hurt your chances of the others bringing a buck by your stand.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:09 PM
Kid
Typical Buck

If it is me, I am flinging arrows.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.