HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   First Deer? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/372912-first-deer.html)

HunterMatt97 09-22-2012 06:04 PM

First Deer?

hello everybody im 15. I shot my first whitetail tonight. Its the first night of youth hunt. And i had about 9-10 deer come in. there was about 4 bucks and about 5 does. I shot a 4 point. Not that nice of a rack but the body was huge. I shot it and it dropped in its tracks. i thought it was dead but boy was i wrong. It was just sitting there on the ground for about 5 minutes and it randomly got up and started running. idk how it didnt die. i mean i shot it right in the heart. and when it started running i saw the bullet hole. it was litteraly the size of a baseball. i waited about 30-40 minutes and couldnt find it. Going back out in the morning to look for it. Im really hoping i find it because that was the first deer i shot. But wish me luck i find it.

BRUSE 09-22-2012 06:17 PM

Congrats on shooting your first deer. They are surely tuff. I have shot some and had them run a longs ways before finding them. I even found a broken off arrow in one I had shot during the rifle season. Good luck with the recovery..I'm sure it will be a restless night.

HunterMatt97 09-22-2012 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by BRUSE (Post 3981343)
Congrats on shooting your first deer. They are surely tuff. I have shot some and had them run a longs ways before finding them. I even found a broken off arrow in one I had shot during the rifle season. Good luck with the recovery..I'm sure it will be a restless night.

thanks man, they are really tuff. i was like so shocked when he got up. Its the biggest rush ever. i mean i almost cried because how excited i was. oh and also thats the samething my dad said. he said i probably wont goto bed tonight lol.

MZS 09-22-2012 06:57 PM

Your deer is probably there waiting if shot in the vitals as you describe. A Coleman lantern could even allow you to find it tonight. Also, a good LED flashlight might work, but I think the Coleman lantern is the best. Just start where you see blood, and follow it, marking where you last found blood with some large object.

HunterMatt97 09-22-2012 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by MZS (Post 3981364)
Your deer is probably there waiting if shot in the vitals as you describe. A Coleman lantern could even allow you to find it tonight. Also, a good LED flashlight might work, but I think the Coleman lantern is the best. Just start where you see blood, and follow it, marking where you last found blood with some large object.

thats what i was going to do but it didnt leave a blood trail. but im 100% sure its dead. my spot is about an hour away from my house. if i dont find it theres always 2morro. because at this spot every morning usaully sucks. But when the sun starts going down about 5-10 deer come out. But yeah if i dont find it im sure ill drop one 2morro.

golfpro261 09-22-2012 07:24 PM

Make sure you bring in 2-3 people to help. If you hit him you need to put forth the effort to the max to harvest the deer you wounded. Don't have the mentality of ill get another one because there's more.

NebBuckHunter 09-22-2012 07:54 PM

Good luck finding him. If I were you I think I would have grabbed a light and found him tonight. Beings it's a our drive....and you hit I'm "in the heart" and saw a "hole the size of a baseball". I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this simply isn't true. He would be there dead and would never last 5 minutes. My guess is he could be hit a little further back and gut shot.

NebBuckHunter 09-22-2012 08:12 PM

Congrats on your first deer though. I remember mine. Barley hit himi was so nervous. He was running straight for me. Shot a blew out two of his knees on one side. He dropped instantly into the tall grass. Walked up to him thinking I was the greatest hunter in the world only to have him jump up and run a gimpy half circle around me before I got another shot off....

GTOHunter 09-23-2012 05:15 AM

I hope You recover Your Buck....don't want to discourage you but I hope the Predators/Coyotes don't find him first! :(

monkeyman2269 09-23-2012 08:23 AM

Any luck? I wanna see pics

halfbakedi420 09-23-2012 09:07 AM

DUDE!!!!!!!
if you dont find that deer, you shouldnt be "getting" another today. you should keep looking for the deer.
if ya shot it in the heart it wouldnt last long at all, usually instant death, but a small tear in the heart could let em run fer a bit.
my guess is ya found him at 1st light this morning, just about 40 yards away from where ya got last nite. if so, then congrats!! where are the pics?

Bocajnala 09-23-2012 09:44 AM

Any luck?
-Jake

HunterMatt97 09-23-2012 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Bocajnala (Post 3981578)
Any luck?
-Jake

went out there this morning. had about 4 other people with me and couldnt find it anywhere :/

HunterMatt97 09-23-2012 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420 (Post 3981572)
DUDE!!!!!!!
if you dont find that deer, you shouldnt be "getting" another today. you should keep looking for the deer.
if ya shot it in the heart it wouldnt last long at all, usually instant death, but a small tear in the heart could let em run fer a bit.
my guess is ya found him at 1st light this morning, just about 40 yards away from where ya got last nite. if so, then congrats!! where are the pics?

lol man, i searched with about 4 other people for like 2-3 hours. i know its dead some where out there just couldnt find it. i dont really think i hit the heart now that i think about it.

HunterMatt97 09-23-2012 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by golfpro261 (Post 3981376)
Make sure you bring in 2-3 people to help. If you hit him you need to put forth the effort to the max to harvest the deer you wounded. Don't have the mentality of ill get another one because there's more.

searched for him this morning for about 3 hours with 5 people. couldnt find him anywhere :/

HunterMatt97 09-23-2012 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by monkeyman2269 (Post 3981543)
Any luck? I wanna see pics

couldnt find him anywhere. im kinda bummed out about it. but now i know if i shoot a deer just put another bullet in him in case. but if i shoot one later tonight ill forsure upload pics.

halfbakedi420 09-23-2012 12:36 PM

maybe should just end the weekend out with some paper targets from the same distance.

MZS 09-23-2012 12:52 PM

No blood trail is probably not be a heart shot. I suspect it was high and forward from the heart, missing the lungs too. I have shot deer with bow and arrow this way in the past - it sucks! The blood trail stops and the deer keeps going like nothing happened. Now, I aim back a little dead center on the lungs so if the shot is high, it still gets the lungs - much better success rate. Lung shot is the best IMHO as it affords the largest target.

Hope you still can find this one. Don't get too discouraged. Take a look at some "deer vitals" diagrams (google images) and mentally prepare for the next shot you take.

HunterMatt97 09-23-2012 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by MZS (Post 3981631)
No blood trail is probably not be a heart shot. I suspect it was high and forward from the heart, missing the lungs too. I have shot deer with bow and arrow this way in the past - it sucks! The blood trail stops and the deer keeps going like nothing happened. Now, I aim back a little dead center on the lungs so if the shot is high, it still gets the lungs - much better success rate. Lung shot is the best IMHO as it affords the largest target.

Hope you still can find this one. Don't get too discouraged. Take a look at some "deer vitals" diagrams (google images) and mentally prepare for the next shot you take.

yeah man i went out tonight. there was a doe that came out. i shot and it missed and it didnt run so i was able to get a shot on it again. i blew its lungs out. But i was kinda bummed because in the tree it looked like a pretty big deer but when i fount it, it was pretty small. Im still happy thought i mean it was my first deer. im going out next weekend i think when bow season starts.

NebBuckHunter 09-23-2012 07:28 PM

Please please please go soot some targets first. It's the best advice ou can get. There are enough weekend warriors out there wounding deer like its no big deal because they can "just go shoot another tomorrow."

I am a member of a gun club/shooting range and shoot my guns and bows year round. The number of wounded/lost deer since joining has dropped to right around zero. I have also had fewer cases of ground shrinkage. I don't think that is by coincidence.

HunterMatt97 09-23-2012 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by NebBuckHunter (Post 3981849)
Please please please go soot some targets first. It's the best advice ou can get. There are enough weekend warriors out there wounding deer like its no big deal because they can "just go shoot another tomorrow."

I am a member of a gun club/shooting range and shoot my guns and bows year round. The number of wounded/lost deer since joining has dropped to right around zero. I have also had fewer cases of ground shrinkage. I don't think that is by coincidence.

yeah for bow season im going to be shooting my bow everyday till next weekend. But yeah im still happy that i got that deer. it looked like a gut shot but it wasnt it was a perfect shot. but ill try to get a pic up 2morro.

elmoughler 09-24-2012 08:10 AM

Congrats on your first deer! Dont be discouraged about shooting a small one or one getting away. My first deer was a fawn that field dressed a mere 50lbs. Since then I have harvested several does and two small bucks. My first deer with a bow I hit in the vitals and tracked for about 4 hours and over at least a mile with no recovery. Now lets see some pictures!

HunterMatt97 09-24-2012 11:45 AM

http://gyazo.com/c75e1b4329f62b1186f8d759c3237dfe its small but it didnt look like it when i was in a tree. if i knew it was this small i wouldnt of shot it.

elmoughler 09-26-2012 11:29 AM

They can only get bigger from here on out

Tuff Bucker 09-27-2012 05:51 PM

First off congrats. But I'm thinking gut shot. I know the shaking want the shot feeling. Watch for the crows circling in the air over the next day or so. That's where you'll find him. The meat won't be good, but you may be able to salvage his rack to remember him by.

Father Forkhorn 09-28-2012 07:18 AM

it was pretty small. Im still happy thought i mean it was my first deer.
A first deer is awesome no matter what the size. Way to go!!!!

Now, what to do from here is to work on getting better. Make that first deer a learning experience. Play everything through again and again and figure out what you might do differently. Do it with the deer you tagged as well. What you did right, do again. What you did wrong, do differently.

outdoorsman110 09-28-2012 08:59 PM

Congrats kid!! Every hunt for you will be a learning experience, It always will be! Just remember to practice hard!!

HunterMatt97 09-29-2012 01:06 AM

thanks everyone!