Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

First Deer?

Old 09-23-2012, 07:55 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by NebBuckHunter
Please please please go soot some targets first. It's the best advice ou can get. There are enough weekend warriors out there wounding deer like its no big deal because they can "just go shoot another tomorrow."

I am a member of a gun club/shooting range and shoot my guns and bows year round. The number of wounded/lost deer since joining has dropped to right around zero. I have also had fewer cases of ground shrinkage. I don't think that is by coincidence.
yeah for bow season im going to be shooting my bow everyday till next weekend. But yeah im still happy that i got that deer. it looked like a gut shot but it wasnt it was a perfect shot. but ill try to get a pic up 2morro.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:10 AM
Typical Buck

Congrats on your first deer! Dont be discouraged about shooting a small one or one getting away. My first deer was a fawn that field dressed a mere 50lbs. Since then I have harvested several does and two small bucks. My first deer with a bow I hit in the vitals and tracked for about 4 hours and over at least a mile with no recovery. Now lets see some pictures!
Old 09-24-2012, 11:45 AM
Spike

http://gyazo.com/c75e1b4329f62b1186f8d759c3237dfe its small but it didnt look like it when i was in a tree. if i knew it was this small i wouldnt of shot it.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:29 AM
Typical Buck

They can only get bigger from here on out
Old 09-27-2012, 05:51 PM
Spike

First off congrats. But I'm thinking gut shot. I know the shaking want the shot feeling. Watch for the crows circling in the air over the next day or so. That's where you'll find him. The meat won't be good, but you may be able to salvage his rack to remember him by.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

it was pretty small. Im still happy thought i mean it was my first deer.
A first deer is awesome no matter what the size. Way to go!!!!

Now, what to do from here is to work on getting better. Make that first deer a learning experience. Play everything through again and again and figure out what you might do differently. Do it with the deer you tagged as well. What you did right, do again. What you did wrong, do differently.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:59 PM
Spike

Congrats kid!! Every hunt for you will be a learning experience, It always will be! Just remember to practice hard!!
Old 09-29-2012, 01:06 AM
Spike

thanks everyone!