Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

First Deer?

Old 09-23-2012, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

DUDE!!!!!!!
if you dont find that deer, you shouldnt be "getting" another today. you should keep looking for the deer.
if ya shot it in the heart it wouldnt last long at all, usually instant death, but a small tear in the heart could let em run fer a bit.
my guess is ya found him at 1st light this morning, just about 40 yards away from where ya got last nite. if so, then congrats!! where are the pics?
Old 09-23-2012, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator

Any luck?
-Jake
Old 09-23-2012, 10:44 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Any luck?
-Jake
went out there this morning. had about 4 other people with me and couldnt find it anywhere :/
Old 09-23-2012, 10:45 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
DUDE!!!!!!!
if you dont find that deer, you shouldnt be "getting" another today. you should keep looking for the deer.
if ya shot it in the heart it wouldnt last long at all, usually instant death, but a small tear in the heart could let em run fer a bit.
my guess is ya found him at 1st light this morning, just about 40 yards away from where ya got last nite. if so, then congrats!! where are the pics?
lol man, i searched with about 4 other people for like 2-3 hours. i know its dead some where out there just couldnt find it. i dont really think i hit the heart now that i think about it.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:47 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by golfpro261
Make sure you bring in 2-3 people to help. If you hit him you need to put forth the effort to the max to harvest the deer you wounded. Don't have the mentality of ill get another one because there's more.
searched for him this morning for about 3 hours with 5 people. couldnt find him anywhere :/
Old 09-23-2012, 10:48 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by monkeyman2269
Any luck? I wanna see pics
couldnt find him anywhere. im kinda bummed out about it. but now i know if i shoot a deer just put another bullet in him in case. but if i shoot one later tonight ill forsure upload pics.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

maybe should just end the weekend out with some paper targets from the same distance.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:52 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

No blood trail is probably not be a heart shot. I suspect it was high and forward from the heart, missing the lungs too. I have shot deer with bow and arrow this way in the past - it sucks! The blood trail stops and the deer keeps going like nothing happened. Now, I aim back a little dead center on the lungs so if the shot is high, it still gets the lungs - much better success rate. Lung shot is the best IMHO as it affords the largest target.

Hope you still can find this one. Don't get too discouraged. Take a look at some "deer vitals" diagrams (google images) and mentally prepare for the next shot you take.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:54 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by MZS
No blood trail is probably not be a heart shot. I suspect it was high and forward from the heart, missing the lungs too. I have shot deer with bow and arrow this way in the past - it sucks! The blood trail stops and the deer keeps going like nothing happened. Now, I aim back a little dead center on the lungs so if the shot is high, it still gets the lungs - much better success rate. Lung shot is the best IMHO as it affords the largest target.

Hope you still can find this one. Don't get too discouraged. Take a look at some "deer vitals" diagrams (google images) and mentally prepare for the next shot you take.
yeah man i went out tonight. there was a doe that came out. i shot and it missed and it didnt run so i was able to get a shot on it again. i blew its lungs out. But i was kinda bummed because in the tree it looked like a pretty big deer but when i fount it, it was pretty small. Im still happy thought i mean it was my first deer. im going out next weekend i think when bow season starts.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:28 PM
Fork Horn

Please please please go soot some targets first. It's the best advice ou can get. There are enough weekend warriors out there wounding deer like its no big deal because they can "just go shoot another tomorrow."

I am a member of a gun club/shooting range and shoot my guns and bows year round. The number of wounded/lost deer since joining has dropped to right around zero. I have also had fewer cases of ground shrinkage. I don't think that is by coincidence.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.