Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

First Deer?

Old 09-22-2012, 06:04 PM
Spike

Smile First Deer?

hello everybody im 15. I shot my first whitetail tonight. Its the first night of youth hunt. And i had about 9-10 deer come in. there was about 4 bucks and about 5 does. I shot a 4 point. Not that nice of a rack but the body was huge. I shot it and it dropped in its tracks. i thought it was dead but boy was i wrong. It was just sitting there on the ground for about 5 minutes and it randomly got up and started running. idk how it didnt die. i mean i shot it right in the heart. and when it started running i saw the bullet hole. it was litteraly the size of a baseball. i waited about 30-40 minutes and couldnt find it. Going back out in the morning to look for it. Im really hoping i find it because that was the first deer i shot. But wish me luck i find it.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:17 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats on shooting your first deer. They are surely tuff. I have shot some and had them run a longs ways before finding them. I even found a broken off arrow in one I had shot during the rifle season. Good luck with the recovery..I'm sure it will be a restless night.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:27 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by BRUSE
Congrats on shooting your first deer. They are surely tuff. I have shot some and had them run a longs ways before finding them. I even found a broken off arrow in one I had shot during the rifle season. Good luck with the recovery..I'm sure it will be a restless night.
thanks man, they are really tuff. i was like so shocked when he got up. Its the biggest rush ever. i mean i almost cried because how excited i was. oh and also thats the samething my dad said. he said i probably wont goto bed tonight lol.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:57 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

Your deer is probably there waiting if shot in the vitals as you describe. A Coleman lantern could even allow you to find it tonight. Also, a good LED flashlight might work, but I think the Coleman lantern is the best. Just start where you see blood, and follow it, marking where you last found blood with some large object.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:02 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by MZS
Your deer is probably there waiting if shot in the vitals as you describe. A Coleman lantern could even allow you to find it tonight. Also, a good LED flashlight might work, but I think the Coleman lantern is the best. Just start where you see blood, and follow it, marking where you last found blood with some large object.
thats what i was going to do but it didnt leave a blood trail. but im 100% sure its dead. my spot is about an hour away from my house. if i dont find it theres always 2morro. because at this spot every morning usaully sucks. But when the sun starts going down about 5-10 deer come out. But yeah if i dont find it im sure ill drop one 2morro.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:24 PM
Fork Horn

Make sure you bring in 2-3 people to help. If you hit him you need to put forth the effort to the max to harvest the deer you wounded. Don't have the mentality of ill get another one because there's more.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:54 PM
Fork Horn

Good luck finding him. If I were you I think I would have grabbed a light and found him tonight. Beings it's a our drive....and you hit I'm "in the heart" and saw a "hole the size of a baseball". I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this simply isn't true. He would be there dead and would never last 5 minutes. My guess is he could be hit a little further back and gut shot.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:12 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats on your first deer though. I remember mine. Barley hit himi was so nervous. He was running straight for me. Shot a blew out two of his knees on one side. He dropped instantly into the tall grass. Walked up to him thinking I was the greatest hunter in the world only to have him jump up and run a gimpy half circle around me before I got another shot off....
Old 09-23-2012, 05:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hope You recover Your Buck....don't want to discourage you but I hope the Predators/Coyotes don't find him first!
Old 09-23-2012, 08:23 AM
Fork Horn

Any luck? I wanna see pics

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.