Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
How far away is you deer camp? >

How far away is you deer camp?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How far away is you deer camp?

Old 09-22-2012, 12:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default How far away is you deer camp?

I'm thinking about doing some over nights while deer hunting this year. Nothing big, probably just a Saturday over night and a hunt Sunday morning. My dilemma, how far away do I need to be away from my stand so that I wont spook deer?

I'm in a 50 acre plot of woods with another 80 acres if woods a few hundred yards away. Can I cross the field and camp in the other woods or is that still too close? I thought Id hike back up to the road and camp by the truck but then I wouldn't have any firewood close.

....Or is it just not worth it and make the 40 minute drive back home and then 40 minutes drive back in the morning? Just thought Id try and enjoy the hunting experience (and save gas) by spending the whole weekend out in the field.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

I've done it a few times. Define "worth it" Do you want to shoot a trophy buck, then it's probably not worth it. Do you want to enjoy your weekend in the woods and camp/hunt. Then it's completely worth it.
-Jake
Old 09-22-2012, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pick a decent spot to where Your the furtherest from where Your stand is located and Camp there,it shouldn't harm the area You hunt and You can enjoy being outdoors!
Old 09-22-2012, 05:06 PM
Fork Horn

I have camped where we park the truck before. We didnt have a fire or anything ate sandwhiches and ceral.lol It worked good for us. I'm not sure of the parking area you have. good luck and enjoy the outdoors.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd camp and have, I've also made the drive and stayed close in a hotel. Of the 3 I prefer the hotel and a short drive.

I might canoe and camp this year, but I can't leave my truck over night where I'd have to park so I'd be dropped off and picked up. Nothing fancy, I'm there to hunt, probably no fire either but a fire isn't a bad thing, Animals smell it all the time.

Old Indian joke:
White man build great big fire, sit way back. Indian build small fire, sit up close.

Fire in a can will keep you warm and is cookable.

Got a do it at least once.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I could camp at mine but we had a hay barn I slept in for a week never bothered the deer at all.I was eating lunch and had a yearling come up and look in.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:52 AM
Typical Buck

Depends on your layout,
I have 50 acres I camped at,
Camped down wind and far away from a bedding area,
I now have a house on part of it which I rent out,
Am currently thinking of building a rustic camp on 8 acres toward back end,
it is very close to a bedding area , so still thinking about it, but my land borders thousands of acres of state land that I can hunt if I push deer there.
Keep it simple, and should have minimal impact.
Since your only 40 minutes can probably do without a roaring fire for cooking, maybe think of a camp stove for simple cooking/coffee or electric heater for heat.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:46 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the tips guys. Im thinking Im going to hike back across the field and camp towards the barn, which is where I park the truck. Then if it rains I have a barn or truck to hide in. I guess I can stock up some firewood before hand in case it gets cold. Definetely looking forward to the outing!
Old 09-24-2012, 08:13 AM
Typical Buck

I'm lucky enough to only live 10 mins from where I hunt so I never have to worry about camping in the woods. If you stay up near the barn where you park your truck you should be fine.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:21 AM
Spike

Have fun out in the woods!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.