Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Nocturnal deer

Old 09-20-2012, 01:02 PM
Spike

Default Nocturnal deer

I am new to this site. To start off the location I have access to hunt is not big timber by any means, mostly consist of small draws. I put my camera out every year around the same time and get good pictures, not overally stocked with bucks but a few good shooters. My problem is that most of the shooter bucks i get on my camera are all coming through either late at night or very early in the morning, well before or after shooting hours. Any suggestions on how to get these deer around during lighted hours?
Old 09-20-2012, 01:17 PM
Typical Buck

If they aren't bedding on your piece of ground then it's highly unlikely you'll encounter them with much regularity in the broad daylight. Sounds like you are in "in between" areas, that being in between their bedding and feeding areas. To fully utilize such an area it is IMPERATIVE to hunt it nearly EVERYDAY, sun-up to sun-down during the week/week & half of prime rut. That's about the only time big bucks, who are otherwise nocturnal, might stand a chance of slipping up and be seen chasing a doe in broad daylight! You MUST be there to capitalize on that opportunity, thus being there as much as possible during that crazed week. Even if it means giving up hunting other times of the season (both pre & post rut) and only using time off from work, family etc... to use it all for that week-10 day period.

Otherwise about the only thing I'd say is stick around in the thickest, nastiest, hardest to access sections of your brushy draws. That's where the boys with bone on their heads are going to be traveling anyother time during the daylight hours.

Again, this is all dependent upon the fact that you KNOW for sure they aren't spending much time on your property and are just passing thru.

Have you walked those draws out at noon during the fall? Maybe they are in there and you just haven't seen them if you are only looking for them around the fringes and open areas?
Old 09-20-2012, 02:59 PM
Spike

Thank you for the great Advice!
There are a few areas where the land gets pretty wooly I see alot of deer sign there but it is very difficult to get there in the dark. I will definitaley give that a shot this year. As for the small draws that i have previously hunted there is a large timber to the south and food source to the north and i have access right between the two so I have defininitley been in an "in between area"
Old 09-20-2012, 06:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Find the bedroom and then set up in transition from their. Closer you get the better but don't blow them off.

Nocturnal is a term thrown out way to often IMO just means your not in the right spot...for the most part
Old 09-20-2012, 06:17 PM
Fork Horn

used a feeder with a timer, sometimes it works