HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   tearing up the acorns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/372772-tearing-up-acorns.html)

kyslayer 09-19-2012 06:35 PM

tearing up the acorns

hear in ky i have noticed the deer have forgotten about everything but acorns right now... getting no pics on corn or anything else. Have seen them eaten the hell out of the acorns though. Anybody else noticing the same thing.

jrbsr 09-19-2012 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by kyslayer (Post 3980008)
hear in ky i have noticed the deer have forgotten about everything but acorns right now... getting no pics on corn or anything else. Have seen them eaten the hell out of the acorns though. Anybody else noticing the same thing.

The same thing here too.
Even the squirrels aren't coming around.

AquamanPSD 09-21-2012 07:05 AM

guess who is hunting over acorns this weekend in eastern KY!

snapper1982 09-21-2012 07:31 AM

it happens every year that there are acrons around. they been eating them for several weeks. it is funny to listen to people say oh i aint getting pics of the bucks anymore. they all disapeared. when in fact they havent they have just changed food sources.

good luck hunting

FlDeerman 09-21-2012 07:04 PM

I have a big ol' white oak that I love to hunt under,works better than a feeder every year.

imabballer 09-22-2012 03:39 PM

For those of you with experience in deer feeding habits how long on average do the deer stay on the acorns before they switch back to something else? I know there's many variables with that but I'm just trying to get a rough idea for different parts of the country. Thanks!

Buckhunter46755 09-22-2012 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by imabballer (Post 3981229)
For those of you with experience in deer feeding habits how long on average do the deer stay on the acorns before they switch back to something else? I know there's many variables with that but I'm just trying to get a rough idea for different parts of the country. Thanks!

I would say until they have most of them gone!! Not really sure but it wouldn't surprise me. I have watched them feed in the morning under specific trees where they fed everyday until they pretty much had everything on the ground in the area eaten.

imabballer 09-22-2012 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Buckhunter46755 (Post 3981237)
I would say until they have most of them gone!! Not really sure but it wouldn't surprise me. I have watched them feed in the morning under specific trees where they fed everyday until they pretty much had everything on the ground in the area eaten.

I figured that I'm just wondering how long it takes them to wipe them out in most places.

Buckhunter46755 09-22-2012 05:21 PM

I can't remember for sure but there was usually between 1-3 deer under a cluster of 4 or so large trees and it seems they had them gone in a week or less. I seen them about every morning during those 5-7 days. I'm not sure if they were feeding at night also or if more deer where also coming to the same area or not. It won't take them long real long to get the ones already down once they start on an area.

bookfire1238 09-23-2012 01:43 AM

Thanks for all the reports guys, nice to hear that.