Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

tearing up the acorns

Old 09-19-2012, 06:35 PM
Fork Horn

Default tearing up the acorns

hear in ky i have noticed the deer have forgotten about everything but acorns right now... getting no pics on corn or anything else. Have seen them eaten the hell out of the acorns though. Anybody else noticing the same thing.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kyslayer
hear in ky i have noticed the deer have forgotten about everything but acorns right now... getting no pics on corn or anything else. Have seen them eaten the hell out of the acorns though. Anybody else noticing the same thing.
The same thing here too.
Even the squirrels aren't coming around.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:05 AM
Fork Horn

guess who is hunting over acorns this weekend in eastern KY!
Old 09-21-2012, 07:31 AM
Banned

it happens every year that there are acrons around. they been eating them for several weeks. it is funny to listen to people say oh i aint getting pics of the bucks anymore. they all disapeared. when in fact they havent they have just changed food sources.

good luck hunting
Old 09-21-2012, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a big ol' white oak that I love to hunt under,works better than a feeder every year.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:39 PM
Spike

For those of you with experience in deer feeding habits how long on average do the deer stay on the acorns before they switch back to something else? I know there's many variables with that but I'm just trying to get a rough idea for different parts of the country. Thanks!
Old 09-22-2012, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by imabballer
For those of you with experience in deer feeding habits how long on average do the deer stay on the acorns before they switch back to something else? I know there's many variables with that but I'm just trying to get a rough idea for different parts of the country. Thanks!
I would say until they have most of them gone!! Not really sure but it wouldn't surprise me. I have watched them feed in the morning under specific trees where they fed everyday until they pretty much had everything on the ground in the area eaten.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:26 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Buckhunter46755
I would say until they have most of them gone!! Not really sure but it wouldn't surprise me. I have watched them feed in the morning under specific trees where they fed everyday until they pretty much had everything on the ground in the area eaten.
I figured that I'm just wondering how long it takes them to wipe them out in most places.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can't remember for sure but there was usually between 1-3 deer under a cluster of 4 or so large trees and it seems they had them gone in a week or less. I seen them about every morning during those 5-7 days. I'm not sure if they were feeding at night also or if more deer where also coming to the same area or not. It won't take them long real long to get the ones already down once they start on an area.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:43 AM
Spike

Thanks for all the reports guys, nice to hear that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.