HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Real hunt experience. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/372703-real-hunt-experience.html)

BrandonByrge 09-18-2012 03:28 PM

Real hunt experience.

When it starts getting cold outside. The rut is at its peak. And it comes too the hunt weekend. What do you guys do?

Kick it in a nice camper at deer camp.

Or rough it on the rocks near a fire in a sleeping bag.

You guys within walking or driving distance too your spots. Or is it a good hike camp out too your honey hole.

Night Crawler 09-18-2012 04:17 PM

My longest walk to a stand from my warm bed on the farm is 1/2 mile. My best spot is down the hill on the edge ofsome bottom land about 500 yds.

invmp12 09-18-2012 04:32 PM

I try and get up early enough for me to make sure my brother is up. I have from a 5 to a 25 minute drive. Depends on where I'm huntin. I spend the night before going over all my gear, every little detail. (My lovely bride says I'm OCD) I wear my under layer on the drive, then dress when I get to the farm that I am going to hunt. I have to take my time walking in. My walk is anywhere from 300yrds to 1/2 mile to my stand sights. I have a 4 wheeler, but it stays on the trailer until needed. I have to take my time due to a heart issue that I have, had it since birth, so it's nothing new to me. I just start early enough. I have it timed pretty well. I enjoy the walk in, anticipation. Then when those gray shadows start as it gets daylight, I almost have to keep myself in check. That, my friends, is my time with my Lord and Savior. I am proud to say that, because of him I get to do what I do. Deer Hunt !

Mojotex 09-18-2012 06:48 PM

Coldest I ahve hunted in here in SE Alabama was just before Christmas of 1989. As long as my mind works, I will never forget it. I do not recall the exact temperatures, but it was nerver more than the high single digits with howling winds out of the N-NW. And fell 5 -6 deg colder in the night. That was Dec. 21-22-23. Long story short is I had great luck, killing two really nice bucks in less than probably 8 hours in the woods. But I stayed very cold most of the day. Thank goodness I had been allowed by the land owner to build a camp ... it was small, but dry and I ahd installed a wood heater. Funny thing recall. The afternoon of Dec. 21 I killed a fine, heavy 8 pt. By the time I got back to the camp it was well after dark. I fired up the Coleman latern and noticed that my 2 - 2 liter cokes I had set on the table were only about 1/2 full ? What !?! The bottle caps had burst in the bitter cold of the unheated camp and I had cola ice cicles hanging from the ceiling !!! And I did not go back out the 23 rd. because it was just too darnmed cold for me to contend with. Besides, it was time to get ready for Santa.

BrandonByrge 09-18-2012 07:09 PM

Sounds like a great time. Wish that coldness would return around here

deerstalker85 09-18-2012 07:14 PM

Unfortunately in Missouri the rut usually happens before the good and cold weather reaches our area. Either way, I generally drive the truck about 5 minutes depending on what part of the farm I will be hunting, and then walk a good 1/4 mile to the stand set I want to hunt.

HatchieLuvr 09-18-2012 07:24 PM

The new house on my farm will be completedin 2wks! :party0007: the "main farm road" out the back driveway is a 4.xx mile loop. I have a few stands within a quarter mile of the house if one feels like a walk too the stand instead of a cart ride.

Now for those days I aint inclined to leave the house... I have a 1 acre, HEAVILY USED foodplot that is overlooked by & only 150yds from my game room window! ;)
HL

mortalcare 09-23-2012 03:05 PM

Always wanted to camp out. just for the experince of it. never been able to though (no opportunitys :confused0024: )