Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Unknown Dogs on your property

Old 09-18-2012, 06:31 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

Two dogs tend to wander all over where as one won't. Call around within a mile or so and find out whose they are. We had a beagle get loose and our normally home-bound sheltie ran off with it all over the place, as far as a mile away we got calls! If they are wild they should be destroyed as they can only cause a lot of harm and/or spread rabies. And NO dogs have the right to wander all over the place in most, if not all, states - where we are, you can get a few hundred dollar fine if your dog is wandering all over causing problems.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:47 PM
Fork Horn

In Tennessee we have a leash law. Don't matter if you live in a city limit or not, applies state wide. There are those that don't adhere to that. When they bother livestock, they are illiminated. If they are bothering neighbors, well it depends on the neighbor how it gets handled. By and large, most that live in the country side where I live and hunt, know that by allowing them to run al large puts them at risk. Dogs do wonder, especially if two or more are together. They will, by thier nature hunt and chase, which creates the problem. If I know the dog, I have and will call the owner, other than that it gets handled if possible without ruining a hunt, if it ain't already.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've hunted in Va where dogs are legal, not a big deal as far as hunting deer go. What do you think those dogs are doing, just chasing the deer out of your place and not chasing them back? If there wild they won't last long.

Wild dogs don't bother me, in fact they've moved deer to me. They do make a quiet hunt like being stuck in a room with squabbling women though, that gets'm as close as can be to a vet hole sometimes.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

We've had this problem before,people just turn there dogs lose or in there minds"setting them free".It doesn't take long for them to get hungry and then mean.If we see an uncollared dog that's starting to look ruff we take them out.I'd love to have a long talk with there former owner.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Been a country problem for decades

Those trail cams must be getting all kinds of pictures besides deer.

Some country folks will turn a dog out, or let it run for the day. Knew a fella at work who had the latter problem with his small farm. A number of country neighbors who let the dogs run. Sure cut his opportunity to get a deer. But dogs will be dogs.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:04 AM
Typical Buck

I've called around to some people in the area and no one will fess up to whos they are. All I know is if I see them again they will be gone.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:52 AM
Spike

Recently my son has lost a dozen chickens, 10 ducks, and several rabbits to foxes and dogs. Neighbors took care of one of the foxes and due to living in a residentual area of the county he called county animal control about the dogs and was told that they are phantom dogs and no owners can be located. Guess his only choice is to quietly help them become actual phantoms.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Casper will watch over those lost souls and make them his new pets!!!! Loose and no collar calls for a new collar, one made out of lead and copper!!!!!
Old 09-19-2012, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had one a few years ago,he had a collar so I let him walk.Every day about the same time and going the same direction he would come by.After a while he would be coming back,never during peek hunting times so no problem.I was down at a store near where I hunt and this guy was complaining that a dog named Jake had been visiting one of his female deer dogs.I asked the guy to tell me what he looked like and he described the dog I was seeing.I saw him one more time and as he was going by I was thinking "Go Jake Go"!!Never saw him again.I guess he finished his job.LOL