Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Unknown Dogs on your property

Old 09-18-2012, 11:57 AM
Typical Buck

Default Unknown Dogs on your property

I went back yesterday to check my camera one last time and to do some other checks in the woods. When I got into the woods and crossed the creek to the other side I had two domestic dogs that I have never seen before running around in my woods. The two houses that sit near my woods dont own dogs so I'm not sure where they are from. I also noticed that my trail camera pictures have dwindled. My question is if you as a hunter were in stand and a dog from an unknown location came by what would you do about it? I don't really want to kill someones dog however on the other aspect I dont want them on my property as well.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:13 PM
Banned

it isnt what would i do it is what i have i done. use your imagination. same thing that several outfitters i know do.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

All my neighbors dogs have collars. Dogs without collars are shot.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:28 PM
Typical Buck

If folks don't want their dogs shot on MY land, they need to teach their dogs what fencelines and NO TRESPASSING signs mean!

If I'm in a good mood they might just get peppered across the backside with a load of 6s from my usual present Judge pistol. But usually if I have a rifle handy...
Old 09-18-2012, 01:40 PM
Fork Horn

If they don't have collars and I am in stand they may not be long for this earth. But right now before the season starts I would involve animal control and see if they could take care of the issue.

I don't want to shoot somebodies dog but if there is a chance they might push deer from my property and ruin all of my hard work scouting and planting food plots I would not hesitate to show them the business end of my rifle.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Wild dogs can be mighty dangerous....
Old 09-18-2012, 01:59 PM
Typical Buck

Those answers were what I was thinking. The dogs wouldn't come within 50 yards and neither had collars. If i ever see them again they wont make it home
Old 09-18-2012, 02:47 PM
Typical Buck

If a dog doesn't have a collar and won't come to you, it is more than likely that they are wild.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I will not indescrimanently shoot dogs crusiing the woods. Dogs will be dogs, and woods cruising is in the blood of some, for sure.

However, feral or what I'd call "semi-feral" dogs packing up around where I hunt have been an issue for decades. If they look rough, they are goners. Have collars ... I let them walk. If they are not collared but appear fat 'n happy, I let them walk. I'll run them off if I can but not shoot 'em.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:15 PM
Fork Horn

Don't matter on the farms I hunt. Dogs get taken care of. No questions. Same as with a coy dog, coyote, makes no difference. I have a zero tolerance for this kinda thing. Period.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.