Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
What is the right thing to do? >

What is the right thing to do?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What is the right thing to do?

Old 09-19-2012, 09:31 AM
Typical Buck

i think you did the right thing, id have let her walk
Old 09-19-2012, 10:17 AM
Typical Buck

If legal...I would have shot her, cut her up where she lay...and packed her out. W/O a framepack, you can use 2 good trash bags with the same amount of de-boned meat in both side, tie them together and carry over your shoulders like a yoke. Even a mature doe will be most likely less than 50#s of deboned meat...even 2 trips wouldn't be bad.

You start by cutting off her legs at the knee. Place her on her belly and cut her back of head to tail. Work on 1 side while you kneel at her belly. Pull the hide towards you so the rear is uncovered...the loins, neck, front shoulders. Chunk out the meat and put it in a bag. Take as much time as you need to clean the bones as much as you want...

Do the same to the other side and then reach in when you are finished and pull out the inner loins.

You never gut her...leave her where she lays and bring the head out if you need to tag something. Of course this is if legal in the state of KY

Just some thoughts though...you didn't do anything wrong, it was a tough call either way. Maybe you will see her again?
Old 09-19-2012, 10:58 AM
Fork Horn

I did think about this. When its warmer out sometimes we will just quarter them they same way we quarter cows. cut off the legs with all the roast and shoulder meat cut out the straps and neck meat. Honestly the thought of tracking by myself in the dark in that area, lots of illegal crop growth, meth labs, copperheads, timber rattlers and the occasional bear, kinda made me think twice about that.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:02 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by AquamanPSD
I did think about this. When its warmer out sometimes we will just quarter them they same way we quarter cows. cut off the legs with all the roast and shoulder meat cut out the straps and neck meat. Honestly the thought of tracking by myself in the dark in that area, lots of illegal crop growth, meth labs, copperheads, timber rattlers and the occasional bear, kinda made me think twice about that.
You can have those snakes!!
Old 09-19-2012, 10:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mojotex
I'd feel for her, but in your case I'd pass.
ditto .
Old 09-23-2012, 03:08 PM
Fork Horn

Nature will take care of her. some animal will most likely get a yummy meal before she starves or freezes
Old 09-24-2012, 02:25 PM
Kid
Typical Buck

I agree with letting nature take it's course.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been in the same scenario and passed but it was tough. I had a doe that was skin and bones, broken leg and you could tell she wasn't going to make it long. I sat their thinking if I should put her out of her misery but passed. You could tell she had no muscle left and wouldn't have any meat on her. I let her stumble away but it hurt to know she would continue to suffer when I had the chance to end it for her.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:08 PM
Typical Buck

Personally, I'd let her go. She'll feed some other predator or scavenger. (buzzards, coyotes)