Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Bait/treestand distance

Old 09-13-2012, 05:10 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

I would suggest 18 yds minimum. Sound intensity, you see, is not inversely proportional to the distance but to the square of the distance. So sound is 1/4 as much at 30 yds compared to 15 yds. At 15 yds, the deer will hear every creak, fabric brush, etc on a quiet day. Moving out toward 20 yds will help a lot. Also, if you are too close, you have a tougher shot since you are shooting down more as opposed to horizontally.

And with respect to baiting, I believe in minimizing the time frame. Bait heavy 1st day, skip a day since deer may be lingering around, bait light 3rd day, then hunt the 4th day. Then leave the area alone. If you bait this way, you minimize spooking for yourself and others. Also, you reduce the "overbaiting" leading to driving the deer nocturnal. Also, you minimize disease spreading. Watch the weather to find a series of days where the wind will be right for you.

Last edited by MZS; 09-13-2012 at 05:16 AM.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:39 AM
Fork Horn

Sounds like a mentor would be a great idea. If you can't find one.... read and use these forums. But more importantly.... Get in the woods!

Your going to make a ton of mistakes like we all did. The trick isn't making the mistakes, the trick is learning from them. You might make the same mistake a dozen times before you understand what your doing wrong. Or to rephrase, what the deer are doing in relation to what your doing. That's cool. Try and soak it all in. That's the fun.

The learning curve for this sport isn't a week or two, it's a lifetime, which is why I love the humbling aspect of it.

You will get frustrated but if you but your time in, you will have one of the best experiences of your life. Best of luck.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:39 AM
Fork Horn

When I first started bow hunting I would try to bait a lot mostly with corn. I noticed that it would bring in mostly does with fawns. expecially this time of the year a mature doe with youngins will chase any buck from a corn pile so don't over bait and don't be afraid to take does. It may not be the most ethical thing but many studies show that if you shoot a doe that has fawns with it that are old enough to survive on thier own, not nursing anymore, then those deer will remain in that area for the duration of their lives. If you leave the momma alive then she will run them off before she goes back into heat... just a thought.

As far as distance it is very relative to the area you hunt. Is it flat? Remember that if you have your bait up hill from where you are the deer will be much likely to pick you out. I like used to stay in the 25 to 30 yard range. That being said the only bait I use now is minerals. It doesn't attract deer like a corn pile does but its good for the health of the animals and it allows you to go longer between refreshing the bait and stinking the place up.

To the guy that said something about hitting them with a car. Clearly you have never hunted in a state that allows you to bait or you would know that for mature bucks there really isn't a lot of benifit in baiting. and i guess you have never hunted over a clover patch or acorn crop. Bucks are not going to pick a corn pile that obviously does not belong in the woods over acorns or clover. Bait doesn't alter the deer's feed schedule it just slows them down a little bit. You still have to put in the same amount of time patterning deer when using bait as you do when not using it. So get off your soap box.