Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Bait/treestand distance

Old 09-12-2012, 02:48 PM
Spike

Default Bait/treestand distance

Will deer be to afraid to come in 15 yards away from my stand? I don't have much cover on my stand or the tree that I'm on, should I move the pile back more?
Old 09-12-2012, 03:40 PM
Spike

That hunt sounds about as fun as hitting one with my car.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by miram
Doesn't sound like he asked for your opinion, he asked for advice. By your remarks I doubt you are old enough to drive a car yet.

I've hunted in Michigan where they bait a lot but now mostly hunt in Illinois where we don't/can't bait. I say as long as it's legal, do what you want. In Michigan the mature bucks seem to know why bait is out in the woods and stay away from it. I like having a spot where we didn't have any bait near it, more as a travel corridor to and from other areas.

I think it all depends on your comfort zone of shooting a bow. If you could, I'd push it out a but farther or try to get some cover you can attach to your stand or around the tree. They sell straps with branch holds to put at the base of your stand. I sugggest oak branches, if you cut them while they are green they will last all season. Good Luck!
Old 09-12-2012, 04:15 PM
Spike

Hey thanks allot! I will try to push it out, it took a while to find a good tree. I will also cut some oak branches and attach them behind and to the side of my stand. I am wearing full original camouflage. Do you think that will work?
Old 09-12-2012, 05:18 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by miram

X2. Mudslinger.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:43 PM
Typical Buck

Are you bowhunting? I suggest you get a baitpile established a few weeks before hunting that spot. Start with a good amount of bait and when they start hitting the bait regularly, start decreasing the amount you put out. By the time you hunt you should only be putting out a handful. This will give them a sense of urgency to be the first to the bait and the dominant deer will be there first!
I would say move the bait back a bit, and remember, if he doesn't come into range and he isn't spooked, he will be back!
Knowing which way the deer will approach is important, so that way you can hunt the wind.
Once you figure out where they will come from, then you can set your stand up to intercept them.
Good luck and be safe!
Old 09-12-2012, 06:18 PM
Spike

Yes Bow hunting, how will I know where they are coming in from? No trail camera
Old 09-12-2012, 06:47 PM
JW
Super Moderator

If you bait, place a large stick or branch behind the bait pile so it forces the deer to stand broadside to you while it eats the bait.

JW

Last edited by JW; 09-12-2012 at 06:54 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:33 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bowgun2700
how will I know where they are coming in from?
Starting your baitpile early could give you time to study deer tracks.
Is there a reason you chose to put your stand in that spot? If you know that deer are traveling through that area, then yes they might pop out anywhere, but remember, deer are still on a routine. Wake up, go eat, go lay down, repeat. If you can find out where they're eating and sleeping you then just need to connect the dots. Are there red oak(acorns) around? How about apples? Is there a thick area where they bed down?
I'm not using a trailcam this year either. You'll just need to walk around and look for deer sign. If you see tracks,wich way are they going?
The more you "study" deer's habits the more you'll be able to predict their movement patterns!
About your camo, if that's all you have, then by all means wear it. If you could get ahold of some regular camo, that would be better. More importantly, try not to move around in your stand. Only move your eyes. Do you practice scent control?
Good luck!
Old 09-13-2012, 04:44 AM
Fork Horn

If you are on public land might want to conceal your bait somehow. If another hunter finds it they might hunt off it or intentionally screw the bait up so animals wont come into it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.